Monday, June 8, 2009

A Bad Night At Lefty's











I was yawning and flying; a dangerous combination in any case. But as I headed home from my late patrol I was feeling content. The Wrecker had been stopped well before he could complete his plan to demolish Police Headquarters. By darting in and out of the Wrecker's metal monster with my Talons, I had cut away his robotic creation, leaving him helpless in the street in nothing but his skivvies.
Lt. Winslow was more than happy to take the boxer-clad baddie and thanked me before I headed back toward Victory Park. I decided to do one more trip around the city before going home. As I swooped through the East End, I saw a drug deal going down near Lefty's Gentlemen's Club and Billiard Emporium. Two young hoods were exchanging money and envelopes. Normally, this was something I ignored, figuring QCPD could handle it. But this time, I could see no cops.
So I dove in. I caught the kid who'd made the purchase and lifted him by his hoody to the nearest lamp post. I hung the hood onto the lineman's hook about ten feet above the ground. "Hey!" he shouted. "Put me down."
I turned back to the other one, the dealer. He was running when I landed onto him with both feet. He fell forward into the alley behind Lefty's skidding into a stack of empty boxes. I strode toward him, fist in palm, eager for this fight. Desperately, he grabbed a trash can lid and threw it at me.
I dodged it easily enough, but the momentary distraction had given him a bit more time to compose himself. "You're just a woman!" he said. "I ain't scared o' you." He raised his fists.
I sighed and waited. Sure enough he ran toward me, lowering his head. I caught him by the waist, trapping his head and shoulders between my arms and right hip. I flexed and tossed him into the sidewalk. He landed on his back, groaning in pain. Surprisingly, he managed to get back onto his feet.
"You got lucky, White Owl." I saw him reaching into his sweatshirt. I turned and launched a side kick into his arm, hearing the bone crunch under my boot.
"No guns. Not in my city." I said.
He was on the ground writhing in pain, and I was reaching into my belt pouch for my cell phone to call for an ambulance and QCPD. "Not bad," I thought. "Two hoods down in less than two minutes."
I barely heard the whistling sound scant seconds before the darkness exploded in my head with a dazzling array of bright technicolored light. Instinctively I put my hand to the back of my head, and began turning. The punk I had left hanging had slipped out of his hoody and dropped to the sidewalk.
Through bleary eyes, I saw he had something in his hand. A staff? No a pool cue. He swung it again and I saw it move whip like before it slammed into my side. I gasped for breath, but managed to grab the stick before he could swing it again. My assailant refused to let go of his end howver and for a few moments we engaged in something that was part dance, and part tug of war. Neither of us could gain an advantage. For every kick I tried, he would feint or dodge.
He tried to run me back into the alleyway, and his sheer weight advantage forced me slowly back. Finally, I pivoted, swinging the pool cue behind me. Trying to use my strength and speed advantage to pin him to the wall, I shoved violently.
Suddenly another blast to the back of my head rocked me and I dropped slowly to my knees. The thug with the injured arm had stopped screaming and managed to slam me with an empty whisly bottle. I saw the glass shattering, spinning like so many fallen stars in the dim light from the pool hall's delivery door.
I felt my knees drop to the pavement. "I owe you one bitch," I heard. A second later, I felt a size twelve Nike slam into the back of my head. My head snapped forward, slamming into the pavement.
Both street punks were on me instantly. Fists, bottles and pool cues slammed into my limp unconscious body. They stood back. looking at their handiwork as I lay unconscious in the dim light.
"So this is White Owl? She don't look so tough."
"Dude, we just beat a real superhero! We need to brag!"
"Who's gonna believe us?"
"They will." The dealer jerked a thumb over his shoulder at Lefty's. "All we gotta do is dump her inside. Our rep will be made as the bad asses who beat White Owl." He looked at his arm then to his former client. "I don't think I can carry her though--the bitch nearly broke my arm."
The client nodded, then grabbed my ankles and began to drag me across the grimy alleyway, My head skidded across the pavement. "Not like that stupid. You'll be forever getting her inside. Pick her up."
With insensitive hands, he lifted me into the air and slammed me over his shoulder. My head lolled toward the ground, my arms framing it as they hung on either side. I felt his hand on my bottom, rubbing the soft NuSilk of my costume and the firm muscles of my legs and glutes.
The two of them stepped from the alley and into the brighter light of Lefty's front door.




The voices in Lefty's were almost as subdued as the lighting. But a hush was drawn across the pool room as the two drug dealers carried in their burden. The goon with the injured arm pointed at the center pool table and the other dropped me onto the soft green felt. My head slumped against the seven ball and rolled it into a pocket.
"Hey, Tony, what the HELL do you think you're doin'? I can't run ya offa my corner, but I ain't takin' your junkies inta my pool hall."
The young drug dealer held up a hand. "This ain't one of my customers, Lefty. This is White Owl." He grabbed his erstwhile client and pulled him to his side. "Me an' Dejuan here just took her out."
"You're a bald faced liar. White Owl my ass." Lefty stepped over to the prostrate figure on the table and tangled his hand into my long brown hair. He arched my back and looked into the closed eyes, frowning.
"Maybe she is White Owl, at that." He admitted. He slammed my head back onto the table and I felt the jarring impact from my chin to my knees. "But if half of what I read about her is true, then she's likely to come 'round soon. You guys didn't think of that, did you?"
Dejuan and Tony shook their heads and stepped back. Left grabbed at my belt and yanked. My butt rose unceremoniously into the air, and he pulled the buckle free. "Let's see what goodies this Owl packs in her purse," he said.
He dumped the utility pouch onto the next table and smiled as several steel balls rolled onto the felt. Two large spiked gloves fell out and finally three sets of handcuffs, extra strong. Lefty grabbed them and cinched my wrists tightly together behind my back. Then he rolled me over to my back, watch my breasts sag under my silk leotard.
Behind him, some of his customers were playing with the weapons from my kit. I was beginning to rouse, and could see one of them looking into a small hole in the bop ball. "No," I croaked. A stream of gas shot out of the ball and into the patron's face. He coughed and dropped to the floor unconscious.
"Maybe this IS White Owl," said Lefty. He grabbed a pool cue and slammed it against my stomach.
"Whhhoooooooffff!!!" The air escaped from my lungs with a whine. In slow motion I tried to slither free from the table, trying to shatter the handcuffs keeping me from defending myself.
"Hey Lefty? Can I get a turn? I owe this dame a few lumps as well." Two fists slammed into my sides and I whimpered in pain. Moments later a free for all ensued; a game of "Beat the Owl" Five minutes later I was a mass of bruises and pain. My costume had been pulled from my shoulders exposing my breasts. They had been pawed and mauled, leaving them red and sore as well.
Lefty held my head up, my dazed eyes glared blearily out through my mask.
"She ain't so tough, is she my friends?" I moved slowly and painfully under his clutching hand. In fact, she looks downright helpless doesn't she?"
"Who is she Lefty?" came several voices from the dim room.
"Shall we find out?"
Cruel cries of "YEAH!!!!" drowned out my feeble protest of "No!"
Lefty's hand grabbed my mask and peeled it back.




"Who is she Lefty?" came several voices from the dim room.
"Shall we find out?"
Cruel cries of "YEAH!!!!" drowned out my feeble protest of "No!"
Lefty's hand grabbed my mask and peeled it back.
******
The situation was completely out of control. Without my toolbag, I was struggling to break the fetters holding my wrists firmly behind my back. But the repeated beatings were taking their toll and I was struggling for breath. My eyes were bleary, the faces in the crowd surrounding me were nothing more than blurs. I felt Lefty's hand on my face, the thick callouses scraping roughly along the edge of my mask.
I jerked my head to and fro, to prevent him, but was only able to stave him off for a minute.
"Stop struggling, Owl," he growled. His fist pummelled my face and I lay limply, tears welling in my eyes. As he reached for the mask once again, I lunged out, biting his hand. I tasted salty skin and felt my teeth puncture the back of his hand.
"AUUUGGGHH!!!" screamed Lefty, dancing back. "Son of a..." He grabbed a pool cue and slammed it over my head, breaking the cue. I saw stars from the impact, still weak from the previous assaults. Lefty raced toward me and I managed to turn on the table., meeting him with the soles of my boots. With a high powered kick, I sent the innkeeper over the bar and into a wall of glass bottles. A loud crash was followed by a groan, then silence from behind the bar. The rest of the pool hall fell silent as well.
My body's healing factor was working, but not fast enough to suit me. Still I managed to roll shakily from the pool table and land on my feet. I was unsteady, but managed to center my balance. The crowd of onlookers backed off, wary. I glared, straining at the handcuffs. Unfortunately, these were the ones I used on high power villains like the Wrecker and designed to constrain extreme strength. They were unresisting to my tugs. Keeping my eye on those surrounding me, I sidled up to my tool pouch and with furtive glances over my shoulder I reached for the special section of my belt. Depressing a button on the buckle first; I fingered the pocket holding the cuff keys and deftly pulled it free.
I turned at the approaching footfalls. Lefty had all the stealth of an elephant in the bush. With a savage snarl he leaped at me, dragging me to the floor. with my hands cuffed, I was unable to stop myself and landed with a crash to the floor. Lefty landed astraddle me and began punching wildly. His fists windmilled into my stomach, my already abused breasts and my face. Unable to block even one punch, I lay helpless under his weight. My feet kicked feebly with each blow until at last they stopped moving at all.
Lefty continued to pummel away. "No one, man, woman or superbitch makes a fool of Lefty O'Doull," he shouted. He held my head up showing the mob that he had won. Blood was flowing freely from both my nose and gaping lips; my left eye was swollen shut from repeated punches.
Lefty slammed me back to the ground. "It's time the so called heroes in Queen City learned we ain't gonna be shoved around. And we're going to start with White Owl here. Who wants a piece of her?"
"I'd give a hundred bucks to get a piece of her," came a voice from the crowd. "Hell, I'd five two hundred for a piece of that!" said another.
"Hold on, hold on, "said Lefty. Grabbing my hair again, he dragged me back to the bar and leaned me against the hard plywood veneer. With one hand holding me upright by my hair his other hand grabbed my right breast; giving it a hard squeeze. "These boobs alone are worth five hundred. You guys want her, you're gonna have to come up with more than that."
"Then show us the goods Lefty!" came a cry.
"OK here's the deal, I'm gonna keep her tool belt and weapons for my own display. But we're gonna auction off the rest of this bitch, piece by piece."
He held up my foot, arching my body deep ober the bar. Pulling off my boot, he said, "What am I bid?"
I'll give ya fifty for the pair!" "Seventy Five" "One Hundred" The bidding went on furiously with my boots selling for $200. During the bidding, my brain was recovering some activity and I became aware of my surroundings once more
"What about her gloves?" came a question from one of the hustlers.
"I can't take, 'em off without letting her go free," said Lefty. I gave Lefty credit for more brains than I thought he had. "But I can offer this." He tugged at the crotch of my costume and I felt the soft Nu Silk sliding down my body. The shoulder straps stopped the costume from falling off completely, but I was totally exposed before the crowd of drunken men. I felt my face burning red from anger and shame.
"What am I bid for White Owl's costume?"




What am I bid for White Owl's Costume?" Lefty's gravelly voice called out again. My shoulder straps were keeping the costume on my body, but the low cut of the one piece leotard had exposed my swollen and man-handled breasts to the drunken revelers. The bidding went quickly, obviously the money was disappearing almost as fast as my clothing. Finally a winning bid was reached--$1500 for my costume. "Come on up here an' get it!" Lefty shouted. The winning bidder was ushered to the front of the bar and handed Lefty the money. He was a large man, heavyset, with a stubby graying beard. His ball cap said "Kenworth", his attitude said truck driver and his breath said alcohol. He grabbed clumsily at my costume, grabbing a handful of breast in the process.
"Hey," I croaked, still too groggy from the beatings to really be an effective defender of virtue. I squirmed uncomfortably at his groping touch, causing the crowd to laugh. He tugged at my suit, but the Nu Silk is a tough polymer material. On one hand it's soft and silky, but its durable and capable of stopping even a small caliber bullet. (which is good, because I can't) He tugged at the fabric, and my body moved with it. "This is a rip off," he declared. "I can't get it off her!" A wiry man with a cowboy hat stepped up next to him. "Here" he said, offering a Bowie style knife to the truck driver. I felt the cold steel at my back and could feel the sweat beginning. I was in a bad way and not quite fully aware of my situation. The knife's edge was sharp, cutting through the fabric with the same ease Mr Wickersham's scissors had when it was being made. With two swift "snicks" the costume was cut away, and I stood barefoot and nearly naked. Only my white silk panties and nude pantyhose kept me from being fully exposed. The rowdy crowd cheered, though whether it was at the trucker's triumphant posturing with my costume, or my near nakedness was an even question Lefty held a hand up and tore my hose away in one sweeping tear. A second tear and I felt my face and thighs burning as the panties likewise went into the crowd as a freebie. "An' now her mask!" shouted Lefty. "No please!" I begged. "You've taken my costume and my dignity. At least leave me my identity!" "Awww, the poor heroine wants us to leave her alone--an' not see who she is under that mask," said Lefty. "What do you Joes think?" "Take it off--Let's see who the hell she is!" I jerked my face back as Lefty grabbed for me, biting at his hand again. His hand closed instead and he punched me soundly in the jaw. My head lolled to the side and I was gasping; tasting blood in my mouth. Lefty's meaty hand grabbed my mask and pulled it away from my face. I closed my eyes in shame then I heard, "What the HELL is this?"




The look on Lefty's face and the incredulous groan of despair satisfied me that my latest gimmick had worked. Where my white mask had been, now a dark face paint marred my features, leaving me "masked" to some extent.Lefty's hand grabbed my cheek and rubbed, but the special polymer required a solvent that I kept back in my apartment. I grinned slightly, my strength coming back; my confidence along side of it. I flexed my unbound foot, and swung it in a quick, tight arc, connecting with the side of Lefty's head. My tormentor slammed forward into the bar and I used the momentum to come to my feet.It took a fraction of a second to get balanced, with my hands bound and no boots. I pivoted, landing a side kick into the truck driver as he stood near at hand, showing my costume to his drunken friends. Another foot tattooed the mercenary with the knife, and as he pitched forward onto a pool table, I raced up his back then leaped to the table where my tool belt lay.In the smoky, dim light, my tanned body gleamed. Several hands grabbed for my bare legs. I felt one muscular pair of arms grab my knees and bring me to the ground. As I fell, my head hit the side of the pool table and I saw stars.I dropped to the floor, with the linebacker still pulling me down. Three or four of his drunken buddies tried to pile on top and I felt more hands pawing at my waist, my breasts and one strong arm around my neck. My back arched as a knee slammed into it. I was having difficulty breathing. In desperation, I pulled on the handcuffs, knowing they were designed for strong foes. I felt the metal resisting, but unyielding.My eyes were beginning to bug out with the stranglehold. I tried to buck my assailant off, but his grip was too strong. Looking up, I saw a pool cue come hurtling at my head. I jerked to the right and was rewarded with the thump of the cuestick slamming into whoever was holding my neck. The grip broke almost immediately and I managed to break free from the other tacklers. I scrambled to my knees, kicking and biting my way free from the other hoodlums and finally managing to get to my feet. I dove once more at the table, sweat glistening along my nude form and landed next to the bag. I rolled to my back, fingers groping wildly for my weapons, but instead, I felt a calloused hand grabbing at the chain of my restraints. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Lefty. His eye was black and puffy and his lip was swelling. His scowl told me he wasn't too happy to see me. He held up a silver ball, one of mine. "Time for you to get what's coming to you White Owl," he growled.Before I could protest, Lefty activated my last gas ball. I tried holding my breath, but another pool stick hit my bare midriff and I gasped for air, breathing in a full dose of the anaesthetic gas. My eyes watered and the room began spinning . Soon everything was dark."It's time we put an end to you, permanently!" Lefty glowered, ominously




"It's time we put an end to you, permanently!" Lefty glowered, ominously.
The dark in my skull wavered, and bright lights were beginning to form under my eyelids. The room shimmered into view and I could see some of Lefty's customers gawping and poking at me. I was spread out on the pool table, legs laid open wide into a V. I could feel my wrists, still clamped tight behind by back, and something new--rope bound round my neck.
I looked around trying to figure out where Lefty was and felt the soft cloth over my tongue. Looking down, I saw the satin of what had been my panties stuffed into my mouth, held in place by the remnants of my pantyhose. I grunted in disgust, and tugged harder at the ropes.
A ball clacked on the table. I saw the 9 roll across the green felt and hit the pocket beneath me. As it hit my open sex, I groaned softly and shuddered more. Then I was violently jerked off the table and dropped to the floor. Unable to brace myself, I fell hard and heard the cruel laughter from the mocking crowd.
I felt a calloused hand twisting itself into my dark hair and I grimaced in pain as I was dragged to my feet. I found myself looking into Lefty's cold, hard eyes. An evil sneer curled his lip. "You've been nothing but a headache since you got here, White Owl. I don't mean here," he said, gesturing to the pool hall.
"I mean here, in Queen City. You've chased away my best customers. I used to be someone. But your war on crime left me with nothin' but this lousy pool hall. An' now, its time you got what's comin' to you." He tossed the free end of the rope over a rafter. I followed its flight and watched as Lefty caught it. The rafter was part of the decor, holding the faux Tiffany lamps over the pool tables.
"You always said you were tryin' ta set a good example for Queen City, White Owl." he snarled. "Let's see ya make a good example for them other would be do gooders." He pulled hard on the rope, and I felt the cord around my neck grow taut. My eyes bulged in fear from the sudden lack of oxygen.
"Come on, help me get her into the air! We'll make her an example all right--an example of what we'll do to any other would be heroes!" Lefty was joined by three or four other men and I felt them pull the rope harder.
I rose into the air, trying to draw breath but the gag and the tight rope made it extremely difficult. My feet kicked wildly, swinging out, trying to land on the table. Lefty and his goons pulled me along the rafter--away from the table and dashing any hope I had of getting air that way.
My kicks grew more feeble. I hung limply in the ropes for more than fifteen minutes. Lefty said, "All right guys, let her down. We'll drop the dead Owl off at Police Center. I'm sure her friends down there will be glad to see her."
My body dropped to the ground with a thud. It lay motionless as Lefty unbuckled the handcuffs from my wrists. He stood and kicked at my side I flopped onto my back, then lashed out and caught his foot.
"What the FUCK!" shouted Lefty, falling onto the floor. I jumped to my feet, still holding his foot, and swung him in a wide circle. With a hammer thrower's release, I launched him into the side of his dark pine wood bar. His head hit, hard, and Lefty slumped unconscious to the floor.
"Who else, " I said. I noticed the two drug addicts who had originally brought me in edging for the door, and I swooped down behind them. I slammed their heads together, feeling them growing limp in my arms. Grabbing them by their hoodies, I dropped them behind Lefty. I found the truck driver in the crowd trying to escape.
Tapping him on the shoulder, I said, "I believe you have something that belongs to me." He grimaced, and held out the costume. Taking it from him. I let him run out the door. I found my boots on one of the pool tables and I quickly redressed, tying my costume at the shoulders. Buckling the tool belt onto my waist again, I again turned my attention to Lefty and his friends.
"Seems a shame to waist a good rope, " I muttered, tying the wrists of the three men together. I used a long length which I looped through their backs and elbows, forming a circle of hoodlums and cinched it tight.
Lefty groaned, and I smiled as I saw the goose egg forming on his head. "How did you do that?" he asked. "How come you're not dead?"
I jumped into the air, trailing the hoods behind me as we flew toward Police Central. "Lefty, you should know, its impossible to hang someone who can fly. I just hovered and acted."
I left them with Lieutenant Winslow, then shut off the pager and went straight home. Daisy was upset that I didn't feed her, but snuggled up to me as we dropped into bed together.
The End

1 comment: