Monday, June 15, 2009

Prelude/Interlude Anatomay of a Hero

"Give up yet White Owl?" asked my captor for what seemed like the hundredth in the last hour. "All you have to do, is give in." he added.
My legs ached from the strain, my breathing was getting ragged. I almost felt like my lungs were on fire. Yet my pride, and my determintation were keeping me going on the treadmill.
My wrists were shackled to this bizzarre device, making it more difficult to run. But I continued; my boots drumming on the belt in a steady staccato as the neurons in my legs continued to fire on instinct.
*********
I had underestimated him, of course. Sinister was a new villain to Queen City, but he'd already made something of a name for himself. He had no powers, but prided himself on complicated criminal activity. When Lt. Winslow mentioned him to me, I jumped at the chance to go back into action. I read his jacket, and found he prided himself on defeating superheroines. His conquests had included WonderVixen, Nocturne and the Scarlet Angel, all gallant women but non powered, like himself.
"It's time someone brought him to heel," I said, with a swagger of confidence. After all, how hard could it be to defeat a normal human being? I did it all the time. I found his hideout; a recently closed fitness center and burst through the doors.
"Now Sinister, your heroine capturing days are ended!" I said. The room echoed around me. I looked around at the nearly empty room. All that remained were one nautilus machine and one treadmill. Other than that I was alone.
Cautiously, I crossed to the nautilus machine. It seemed normal enough, but the pull bar was swaying, as thoughsomeone had been using it very recently. I looked up and gasped in astonishment as Sinister dropped from the ceiling onto me.
"Stupid heroines," he said, slamming a rock hard fist into my face.Dazed I staggered back, but I found my footing quickly enough and landed a roundhouse kick to his head. Sinister looked shaken, but continued his attack. "You females never learn," I heard him growl.
From the deep pocket of his red vest, he pulled out a perfume bottle with a spritz ball. He sprayed at me and a fine mist of moisture soaked into my face. "AUUUGGGHHH" I cried as the liquid became hot, bringing tears to my eyes. Where did Sinister get this stuff?
I grabbed at my face, clawing and wiping at my eyes with the Nu Silk of my opera length gloves. Sinister took that moment to grab the railing of the Nautilus and slam his feet into the small of my back. I fell forward, landing hard against the side of the weights and dropping unconscious to the ground.
I don't know how long I was out but I came around chined to the treadmill. "I've heard you're strong White Owl," I heard Sinister's gravelly voice rasping at me. "But I've wondered about your stamina. After all, what I have planned for you may take a little time." He chuckled mirthlessly.
I looked stupidly at the restraints locked on my wrists and began to pull. "Oh I wouldn't do that, White Owl. You see, unless a special access code is entered into the locks, those cuffs are designed to explode. You wouldn't want to be armless would you?" He continued around the treadmill, then pressed a button and started the treadmill. In order to keep my feet, I began walking.
"Is this your plan, Sinister?" I mocked. "You're going to aerobicize me to death?"
"Not quite, White Owl. You may have heard I defeated several heroines. The truth is, they surrendered themselves to me." I opened my mouth to protest, and he held up his meaty hand. "Oh I admit it took some doing; most of them were as defiant as you. But they DID give in to my wishes, willingly, just as you will."
He increased the speed of the treadmill, and I stepped up my walking, still unwilling to be dragged back or exploded. "Now, we're going to play a game, White Owl. For every minute you're on the treadmill, the speed is going to increase. You have the choice to keep running or surrender yourself to me."
"What's going to keep me from flying out of here with this machine?" I asked. He pointed to a monitor to my left.
"I believe you know Ms Melody Jameson?" My eyes went wide in horror. Melody had been my publicist for almost two years. More importantly, she was my friend. She seemed unharmed though, seated behind her desk, talking on the telephone. "Oh don't look so concerned yet, White Owl. Ms Jameson is fine. However, if you stop moving, or if you move the treadmill, or break the rails, then you'll set off several incendiary devices, destroying Ms Jameson's office, and your young friend with them.
I gasped, even as the machine ramped up again. I broke into a gentle jog, vowing to keep moving, regardless. My mind raced, as I sought other options to save Melody and myself. I felt my reart pounding in my chest, fluttering hard. Sweat was rolling down my back and staining the Nu Silk of my costume, leaving dark stains in the fabric. My nipples were showing as dark brwon circlets on the front of my suit, and were burning as they rubbed against the silk with each step.
I was running faster now, but also growing more and more exhausted with each step. I stumbled forward and Sinister laughed. "Oops, I think the matches almost started there, White Owl. How long can you do this? Are you going to run until your heart gives out? Then both you and Melody will die. Wouldn't that be a waste?"
I wanted to answer, but I was conserving my strength. "Come On Melody," I prayed silently, "Go HOME!" I saw her stand up, then slip on her jacket and leave. I continued running, waiting five minutes--then ten. Convinced Melody wasn't returning I began gasping.
"Y--you wa wa win, s s s Sinister," I blurted. "I surrender. Let Melody live."
Crowing in victory, Sinister disconnected the wiring to the explosive, then shut down the machine. Weakly I stumbled off the machine and into his arms. He wrapped his arms around me, propping me up.
"I have such plans for you White Owl. You're mine now, and when I'm done with you, you'll be nothing more than a playtoy." In his reverie, he didn't count on my healing factor, and I felt myself rallying quickly. I moved slowly with him, allowing him to half drag me toward the offices. When we reached the managers door, Sinister leaned me against the wall and fumbled with the doorknob.
I slammed my elbow into the back of his head and heard him gurgle with surprise. Sinister came up spruttering, fire in his eyes. But he was no match for my strength and I soon had him on the ground and hogtied. I called Lt Winslow on my cell phone, and within minutes several black and whites were there to claim Sinister.
"I'll get you yet White Owl! you made a dangerous foe!" he shouted as the cops lead him out. For my part, I flew to Melody's offices just as the pretty readhead was about to turn the key in the lock.
"Melody!" I shouted, grabbing my friend and hugging her tight."
"Hi Owl!" she said, all smiling. "How's my best client?"
"Very relieved to see you. Care to join me for pizza? My treat." She nodded and over a veggie pizza at Antonelli's I told her of my ordeal. "Melody, I'm very concerned. You're valuable to me as a friend and publicist. But I don't like the idea of my foes striking at me through you."
"Oh don't be such a stick in the mud Owl. You're not the most dangerous customer I've had. I think the punk hate band, "Scum of the Earth" is far worse. Moreover, THEY never take me out for pizza."
We laughed and talked into the night, then I told Melody to be careful, because I was going to Waynesville in the morning. I didn't tell her why, but Athena Nikos was to be a guest lecturer at Grayson University.

No comments:

Post a Comment