Monday, June 8, 2009

The Dark Reflection


Intrepid staggered back against the console, limping in pain. Her golden cape dragged uselessly on the ground, still held in place by the golden button on her hip. Her scarlet bodysuit had been torn in several places, by a set of savage claws. She crept behind the control panel, trying to recover her mind, willing her body to heal itself.
"I know you're in here, lover," came a mocking voice from the corridor. "After all, I know everything about you. Give me what I want, and I may let you live."
Intrepid felt her heart racing like a jackhammer. "This is crazy," she thought. "I'm one of the most powerful beings on the face of this planet. I can't be defeated like this." She clawed her way to her feet and swept the room with her enhanced vision. There--a dark shadow loomed.
"Gotcha," she muttered, switching her vision to heat. A flame burst up around the shadowy figure and too late Intrepid realized that she had been deceived. She whirled, but at the same time felt an icy cold blade at her otherwise invulnerable neck.
"Surprise Valentina," hissed the familiar voice in her ear.
"Please Daud, after all we've meant to each other, can't you..." She felt something wrapped tightly around her neck. Frantically her hands scrambled at the cord, her eyes wide in terror.
"I hope you stay frozen for eternity, you bitch," whispered the soft voice, flipping the switch. "Your heart has been weighed in the balance, and Thoth finds you wanting." Intrepid's scream was cut short as the blood in her body crystallized. Her body contorted in pain, then slowly hardened.
The dark figure stood and stepped into the light. His dark Egyptian features were highlighted as the lights reflected over his black breast armor. An ankh hung in the center of his well muscled chest. Smiling grimly, Black Ibis placed his claw into the pouch and stretched. "I'll miss you, Intrepid. We were destined for each other, the two most powerful beings on earth. But while you were stronger, I was the more intelligent." He cast a last glance at the grisly tableau of Intrepid's icy body and scowled.
"It could have lasted forever, if you hadn't been so jealous of my gaining more power than you. But you destroyed my opportunity. Your damned strength ground the eye of Horus into so much dust. The diamond of Sophia you cast into the sun! Well I hope it was worth it. You're dead and one way or another, I'm the most powerful man on earth." He strode into his living quarters in the Fortress of Power and slammed the door behind him.
Black Ibis shook briefly, struggling to gain control of his emotions. "I will not grieve," he said. He turned to look at the large collection of books--including one on multidimensional theory. He pulled the book from the shelf and absorbed the knowledge at a furious pace. Finally he picked up a deep green emerald from his desk. Turning it over in his hand he muttered, "If those theories are correct, then those missing gems may still exist in some alternate dimension. But how to get there?"
Black Ibis paced for a moment, then remembered experiments in dimensional engineering taking place at the physics labs in King City University. The Black Ibis changed from his costume, stowing it into a briefcase.
Thirty minutes later, Daud Tothman, the noted archaeologist was entering the physics labs at KCU and meeting with the director of the facility. "We've gone beyond theory Daud. We have a device here that has allowed us to pierce the barrier into another world. Quite simply, we place an object on a platform here--fire the ray and the object penetrates through to an alternate dimension."
"How do you know which dimension?" asked Daud.
"Oh--like calls to like. The closer the alternate dimension is to ours, the easier it is to penetrate. but we wouldn't find things too drastically different. I would assume the villains would still be running things on another world. Still one can hope.
Daud nodded thoughtfully as Doctor Greenlee finished his discourse. He observed the machine and swiftly made his move. With a savage blow Daud dropped Dr Greenlee to the floor, then used his pass card to gain access to the control room. He set the controls, then set the automatic timer to fire in three minutes. Daud flew through the corridor and landed on the platform. "Here goes nothing," he said.
A Blue white bolt of energy hit Daud square in the chest and he howled as the beam engulfed him. Daud was unaware of the doppler shift his voice had in the physics lab, but the beam suddenly stopped. Daud opened his eyes. He was in a large park in an urban center but was he in an alternate world? He crossed the park and found a news box. Daud smiled, then laughed. He and the Power team had destroyed Hub City two years ago, when they failed to pay their protection money. Yet here he was standing in a fully vibrant city, with no evidence that the city was gone.
Daud set out to explore his brave new world.


Daud observed the small clusters of people he passed on the street as he made his way toward the center of the neighborhood. He stopped and asked directions of a young mother as she pushed a stroller toward the park.
She smiled, and pointed Daud in the direction of the local library. Daud thanked her politely and continued up the street. He thought the naive innocence the woman exhibited was remarkable, but realized that perhaps in this dimension, there were no metahumans with strange powers becoming the new aristocracy.
A man was stepping from a fast food restaurant as Daud passed. Daud stopped him as well, ostensibly to verify the information. But as the two men parted amicably, Daud slipped the man's wallet into his own jacket's pocket. He continued swiftly up the street, whistling a nameless tune.
At the library, Daud studied the wallet and the money. The currency was almost identical to his own, still bearing the name of the United States. He realized his would more than suffice for small, quick transactions. Anything larger though, would require an influx of sufficient currency. Daud mentally filed this information, then convinced the librarian to allow him access to the library's computer systems.
He started with researching the artifacts. The Diamond of Sophia, and the Eye of Horus were currently on display in the Smithsonian, soon to depart for a tour through several museums across the country. Daud paused when he found the third entry. The dark green Emerald of Minerva had only recently been discovered in Greece, by an archaeology team lead by Dr Athena Nikos.


Daud frowned. In his world, he had been the one to discover the ruins in Greece. He was still surprised to see that there were some major differences between otherwise parallel worlds. He studied the image of the young woman in the press release. Something about her seemed familiar, but Daud was uncertain he'd ever seen her on his earth.
After ascertaining the presence of all three artifacts in this dimension, Daud turned to the headlines. This dimension seemed as chaotic as his own world. There were still wars for oil, greedy corporations, governments with fools in power. Daud wondered how quickly this reality would devolve into chaos if a few of his type roamed the earth. Then he saw it.
A headline from the Megopolis Planet. "Captain Valiant to receive special Medal of Honor." Daud studied the article with intense interest. Apparently there WERE metahumans in this realm. But were they all so...virtuous?
Daud spent the rest of the afternoon learning about the various metahumans in the news. Most seemed to be reflections of his erstwhile colleagues in the Power Structure. He saw reflections of Intrepid, ICBM, and the Highwayman. But his own reflection was a...a woman? NO! It couldn't be. How could Thoth choose a female for his avatar?
Daud thrust the computer away and crossed through Hub City in a fog. His feet found himself on Bankwater Street, and Daud frowned at the familiarity of it all. His sense of deja vu was heightened when he saw a Doctor's shingle hanging on the next corner. As Daud approached, he saw the name, "A. Abu Rimelleh, MD. "Is it possible?? " he thought. "Could my old friend Akim have a counterpart in practice here? " Without fear or trepidation Daud knocked on the door.


"May I help you?"
Daud blinked as the woman opened the door. She was dark, with a middle eastern air about her. Her face was crossed with a combination of pleasant helpfulness and concern. Daud pushed past her, stating, "I'm looking for Dr. Abu Rimelleh? Is he in?"
The woman put her hand to her mouth and coughed politely, choking back a laugh. "I think you're a bit confused young man. I'm Dr Alissa Abu Rimelleh? And I assure you, I'm the only doctor on the premises. How can I help you mister..." She let the question about his name hang like a heavy weight in the suddenly awkward atmosphere.
Daud swore softly under his breath. Of course his former doctor would be a woman in this world! It made perfect sense. He turned to Dr Abu Rimelleh and said, "I'm so sorry, it was my mistake. I just assumed..."
"You assumed that since the name was genderless, that a male doctor practiced here." Dr Abu Rimelleh clucked and smiled. "So typical I assure you. But you still didn't answer my question. How can I help you? And I didn't catch your name?"
Daud held out his hand. "Daud, madam. Daud Tothman. I...I injured myself at work and someone suggested you as a reputable doctor."
Dr Abu Rimelleh took Daud's hand and smiled. Not unpleasantly she said, "I can see you're not from around here Mr Tothman?"
"No, no ma'am, I'm from Cairo. I'm just here for a visit. I work as an archaeologist and museum lecturer."
The doctor nodded. "Well Mr Tothman, I'm afraid whoever recommended me was having a bit of sport at your expense. You see, I'm a gynecologist." She smiled politely, not wanting to hurt Daud's feelings.
Daud closed his eyes and shook his head. He laughed gently at the joke, and glanced sheepishly at Dr Abu Rimelleh. "I guess they got me good," he laughed.
"Actually, one of my patients is in the same line of work Mr Tothman. Do you know Dr. Athena Nikos?" Daud started at the name, his memory bringing to mind the lithesome archaeologist who had recently uncovered the emerald of Minerva. He paused, his mouth forming a large "o" of pleasant surprise. This was almost too big a coincidence, thought Daud. He had to learn more.
"Of course, I'm familiar with her. She was recently in Turkey wasn't she?"
Dr Abu Rimelleh smiled. "I believe so. At least she came for a series of shots and medications before she left."
Daud glanced at his hand. He had absorbed much of Dr Abu Rimelleh's deepest memories about herself; but he sensed from her words, the doctor knew more about Athena Nikos than she was letting on. Aware the doctor was still watching him, Daud turned his wrist and glanced at his watch.
"Well I see it's getting late. I'm on my way to supper and I'm terribly bored of eating alone. To make up for my intrusion as you were closing up, may I take you to dinner?" He gave the doctor a dazzling smile and offered his crooked elbow to her.
"Well, I suppose I can make an exception for a colleague of a patient, " said Dr Abu Rimelleh. "But only if you call me Alissa. I'm off hours, so it's all right.
"And you may call me Daud, Alissa." As the Doctor slipped her arm around Daud's he felt his mind reaching into hers again, drawing memories of her life as they walked up the boulevard to the Italian restaurant at the end of the block.

It had been a difficult few weeks. After enduring long negotiations arguing with the officials in Salonika, I finally was allowed to leave Greece with the emerald of Minerva. After coming back to Queen City, I was wrapped up in writing the museum literature and arranging for other items to be a part of the "Gems of Wisdom" exhibit.
But my other life called almost as frequently. I had been in yet another fight with Captain Valiant, furious with him for his overprotective behavior. We had parted company on very unfriendly terms, and he had departed for Washington, to his other patrol sector for the time being.
Shortly after that, General Harm had broken free from the Fort Grande federal military prison, and returned to Queen City to gain revenge for Valiant's imprisoning him. It had been difficult, but through a bit of misdirection and a lot of strength and luck, I had managed to overpower the villain, coating him with a covering of thick plastic. Harm had been trundled back to the prison held with a special restraint.
Now I was waiting for the final letters to complete the exhibit. I had promises from the Smithsonian, from Chicago, and from San Francisco's Gemological Institute, to exhibit their pieces as well. I had just heard from the Hub City museum regarding the eye of Horus. They would be delighted to share their exhibit with the museum, in exchange for my recent work on the Amazon mythos.
I was working late in my study near Victory Park, Daisy was curled up on my lap, demanding her share of my attention. I had put together the final touches of the exhibit, preparing it for shipping to Hub City. I needed to go north though, to finalize the documents. I smiled as I made my travel arrangements. This Owl may fly, but she can't drive. I was going to need at least three days in Hub City to get the documents signed, exhibits exchanged and I planned to visit Dr Abu Rimelleh. She needed to follow up, and I was due for a physical and some expert advice on healing a broken heart.
I picked up the phone, dialing Alissa's number. "Hello?" came the rough ragged voice.
"Alissa? I'm sorry to call so late. Did I wake you?"
"mmmmm, wait a minute, ok?" Alissa's voice seemed distracted somehow, but a moment later, she was back, in a more professional tone.
"Athena! It's good to hear you. No you didn't wake me, I was in the ....middle of something was all." It didn't take much imagination to figure out what Alissa had been doing, and I smiled.
"I won't keep you long Alissa. I just needed to let you know that I'll be in Hub City day after tomorrow, to set up a transfer of museum exhibits. And I was hoping you could squeeze me in for a physical and a heart to heart."
"Hmmm, well, I think I can manage to fit you in. Would Thursday afternoon work for you? I have some good news for you as well."
"Absolutely, Alissa. I'll see you around 2 on Thursday. And I won't keep you any longer." We said our goodbyes, then I hung up the phone. I stroked Daisy absently, keeping her happy and purring. I felt warm all over, happy for Alissa. "What do you know about that Daisy?"


I spent a restless night eager to see Alissa and to get the final touches for the exhibit together. Wearily I rolled out of bed and was waiting when the cab showed up at 8. The flight to Hub City never takes long, so shortly after noon I was sitting in the office of Stanley Proffit, the director of Hub City's Museum of Oriental Studies.
"Ms. Nikos, we're delighted you're going to share your Amazon exhibit with us. I understand it received excellent reviews in both Sabre City and in Boston. I smiled graciously, not letting Dr Proffit know about the mixup I had shared with Princess Diana in Boston.
"I'm just pleased you're interested in showing it, Mr Proffit. But I'm even more pleased you're willing to release the Eye of Horus to us in exchange. Such a rare diamond, I'm certain you've taken extraordinary precautions?"
"Indeed we have. We've gotten the exhibit about ready to go, and we'll be packing it onto the trucks tonight. And we have at least two cars to transport the stone itself." He leaned back in his leather swivel chair smiling. "You do know it has a legend attached to it, don't you?"
I nodded. "That's part of the reason I wanted to see it." Even though I had a familiarity with the jewel I wanted to hear his story.
"As you know, the Eye of Horus was part of the Crown Jewels of Ancient Israel. Supposedly, it was a source of Solomon's great wisdom. The bearer was supposed to gain divine wisdom. I think that may be a bit pretentious, since it hasn't done anything for me," he said with an amiable laugh.
"But I didn't think the stone was found in the Middle East, was it?"
"No, Bradley found it in 1870 in a tell in Ethiopia. It was his belief the Candace brought it back after her visit with Solomon. In that time, archeologists were more or less tomb robbers, and the regulations weren't in place. We acquired the gem in 1903 as the foundation of our museum."
"What about the legend?" I asked, eager to hear.
"Well, according to some of the documents we've recovered and translated The Eye of Horus is one of three stones. When all of them are together, the owner is supposedly vested with divine wisdom and the ability of the gods. Of course, that's all superstitious nonsense, wouldn't you say?"
I nodded, non committally. After all, I had spoken to Athena herself, and met the race of Amazons, so I was less inclined to deny any other legends out of hand. Still I could maintain a professional lie if I needed to.
Dr Proffit and I finished our paperwork, then he showed me through his museum. I was delighted at the antiquities, and the hours slipped away. We left late, and Dr Proffit took me to dinner, then dropped me at the Metropole Hotel. "Do you need me to send a car in the morning?" he asked.
"No," I said. "I think I can be there by 10. I have an afternoon appointment as well, then I'm flying back tomorrow night." He nodded and said, "I'll see you in the morning then."
I walked through the lobby, and took the elevator to the suite I rented. I'm a frequent visitor to the Metropole, so I was unsurprised to find my room all set up, the bed turned down and the mint on my pillow.
I sat down, and flipped on the television, more for background noise than anything else. I opened the book I'd brought, a new history of Boadiccea. I was somewhat absorbed by the book, but I felt an unease about the night. I felt the lure of darkness creeping over me, and decided I should at least try a token patrol.
I found the White Owl costume in the secret compartment, and slipped into the soft Nu Silk with a welcome relief. I cinched the belt and adjusted it around my hips, making certain I had a full assortment of flash bombs, gas balls, and bop balls. After adjusting the gloves, and making certain my mask was in place I opened the terrace and jumped into the night.
Hub City sits on Lake Michigan, so I flew out over the water first, gaining my bearings, then looking back at the gorgeous city of lights. I flipped back and flew to the west, returning to the city. The city was busy, far busier than Queen City ever was this late. But Hub City seemed to be more orderly as well.
I swooped past the Museum, and stopped. Something wasn't right on the loading dock, and I landed, startled to see a museum guard down and bleeding on the dock. As I examined the grisly sight, I saw his throat had been slashed. I could do nothing more than offer a prayer for his family. No one else was in the dock, so I moved cautiously through the museum. Other guards were down, though none were in fatal poses--I noticed gas cylinders near each of them. I drew near the administration offices, and heard angry voices in Dr Proffit's. He must have returned here to oversee the loading.
"Open it, Doctor, or I'll kill you here and do it myself. I have no wish to destroy any other antiquities though," said the voice, full of menace.
I kicked down Dr Proffit's door, and was stunned to see a man holding Dr Proffit with a set of claws similar to my talons at his neck. He was dressed in a black body suit, with black boots similar to mine. A suit of dark armor covered his torso, and he wore a dark skull cap covering his head and eyes. "White Owl! I was expecting you." he said in a malicious familiar voice.
I was stunned. Though I've been known to be in Hub City from time to time, its not my usual haunt. Still, he said he'd be expecting me. "Thne you were no dout expecting this," I said, winging a steely bop ball at his temple.
The man moved swiftly, shoving Dr Proffit to the ground, then catching the ball easily. "Interesting," he said. "I think you'll like mine better though." With a fluid motion he began throwing shuriken at me, their razor sharp edges spinning wildly towards me.
I managed to dodge the first two, but felt the third snag my costume and plunk deep into the dark wood panelling in Proffit's office. Three more pinned me, one arm and two more on my costume, leaving me squirming like a butterfly on a backerboard. I looked at the shuriken, then looked up as the dark man stood in front of me.
His hand cupped my chin, then stroked along my cheek as he gloated, "So you're White Owl, hmmm? I was expecting something more, I'm afraid. I guess you don't live up to your reputation here... AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!" My knee slammed home into his crotch, then I pivoted my foot and threw a punch into his side, hitting between the plates of his armor.
He groaned in pain, slumping sideways. I pulled the Shuriken out of my glove and began working on the ones in my costume. But I felt a strong arm around my throat. "AKK!"
The powerful arm threw me across the room, flipping me across Dr Proffit's desk. Through the fall, I saw Proffit crawling for the doorway. But the dark man grabbed me, by my leg and swung me like a bat. My head hit the exhibit case in Dr Proffit's office and I felt the glass and steel shatter witht he impact. My vision went black at that point.
I woke about an hour later, with paramedics scurrying around me and a palinclothes ploice officer standing over me. "You ok, White Owl?" he asked.
"I don't know, did I just go six rounds with a badger?" The police officer laughed.
"No, though from the looks of things you might have gotten off easier. I'm Detective Capps. Care to tell me what happened?"
"I lost to someone with superpowers Detective Capps. I really don't know anything about this guy--except he said he was waiting for me." I had a sudden thought. "What about Dr Proffit?"
"He's fine, only one fatality that we can see. And Dr Proffitt said something called the Eye of Horus was taken. Know anything about that?" I shook my head, wincing at the pain. Sometimes it was nice to have an alternate identity.
"You really need to see a Doctor, White Owl. Can I take you anywhere? The hospital?"
"No thank you detective. I'll be fine--and believe it or not, I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning." I smiled gamely, then swayed to my feet. I could feel the healing factor working, and knew the broken ribs I felt now would be bruises by the time I saw Alissa.
I flew painfully back to the hotel, and stripped, falling into bed to review. But weariness claimed me quickly and I dropped to dreamless sleep.


Despite the robbery at the museum, I was spared from most of the enquiring minds of the Hub City Press. As far as anyone knew, Athena had returned to her hotel, and had not come down until the early morning.
I did have a few phone calls after breakfast, no doubt Janine had finally buckled and confessed that I was in Hub City. I spent the next hour or so answering phone calls, then I managed to get dressed. The pain in my ribcage was still severe, but the sleep had done wonders. I could move, more or less freely, and as long as I didn't make sudden moves, I thought I could hide my injuries.
Dr. Proffit was still in shock when I arrived, wringing his hands and telling me how sorry he was. I told him there wasn't much he could do, after all the papers reported that even White Owl had problems with the intruder. Still, Dr Proffit was afraid the robbery would reflect badly on his tenure at the museum. I did my best to assure him that it likely wouldn't but he seemed uncertain. Since we really had no more formal documents to sign, Proffit offered the paste exhibit, and I accepted on a conditional grounds. I assured him I still trusted his security and knew that the Amazon exhibit would be safe in his hands.
After coffee, we shook hands, and Dr Proffit seemed a bit more chipper. He clapped me on the shoulder and I nearly screamed in pain. I managed to bite it back, and smiled instead. "Didn't you have another appointment?" he asked.
I nodded, and asked if he could call me a cab. Moments later, I was in the back seat of a Sunshine Taxi, and on my way to Bankwater Street. I paid the driver, then faces the long row of stairs at the base of Alissa's office. The healing had made things easier though, so I limped gamely to the top of the stairs and slipped into the waiting room.
"Alissa?" I asked.
"Be right there, Athena, you know the drill."
I slipped out of my suit and into one of Alissa's examination gowns. I sat on the table and waited. I heard Alissa ushering someone to the door, saying she would see them soon. When the other person replied, my blood chilled. The voice was familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.
Alissa slipped into the exam room, beaming. "I'm glad you came Athena; I've got the best news to tell you."
(For those of you new to my adventures, Alissa Abu Rimelleh and I had been roommates at the University of Chigago. She was a somber pre med student, I was a little more unfocused archeology major. We had hit it off well, and I had been her first patient when she hung out her shingle. Dr Abu Rimelleh had ALSO been the first one I told about the visitation from Athena in my life. It was a credit to her, that she continued to be my doctor and my friend.)
"What do you have to tell me Alissa? " I was fairly certain I knew, but I wanted to hear it from her.
In unhurried fashion, she told me about the strange encounter and the charming man who had come into her life. I hadn't seen her so happy in many months. "He's very intelligent Athena, and he's an archeologist too. I'm sure you'd like him." At the mention of her new swain's occupation, my ears perked up. Archeology isn't a vast field, and I was certain I might have an insight into her man.
"What's his name, Alissa?"
"Daud. Daud Tothman. He's from Cairo."
I racked my brain, trying to remember Tothman. I had numerous contacts in various schools and musems in Egypt but I couldn' t remember him. Still, I knew I was a bit of an anomaly, with a doctorate and reputation at my fairly young age. So I held my peace and willed myself to be happy for Alissa.
The feeling was not mutual as Alissa opened my gown and began pressing against my ribs. I gasped at the unexpected pain. "That's some nice bruising you got there last night, Athena. Honestly, I'm surprised you're not in worse shape."
"I was. Its that..."
"Right it was the healing factor. Alissa shook her hear, then used a hand to push her dark hair out of her raven sharp eyes. "Are you sure you needed a Doctor?" she laughed.
"I'll always need a doctor Alissa, you know that. Besides, who better to monitor my behavior?"
She frowned. "Well I suggest you keep the heroics to a minimum for about..." she poked my ribs again, eliciting a whimper of pain again..." keep it down for a day or two."
"But what about the diamond, the Eye of Horus?"
"It will still be there. Honestly Athena, you must think the police are completely inept."
I lowered my head. Alissa's barbs were usually sharp; one reason she'd been a friend so long is she kept me grounded. "You know that' s not true, its just I.."
"You think you can do it better. Or you have a personal stake. Or is the fate of the world in your hands? Believe me, I know your reasoning. Now I'm telling you as a doctor and as your friend, get some rest. Are you flying home tonight. In a plane?"
I nodded, meekly.
"Then go home--and stay out of trouble until Saturday. Then I'm ordering you to go to a movie or something. Get your mind clear."
I smiled as I got dressed. I knew Alissa was right and I'd feel better about my life after a good night's sleep. The flight to Queen City was uneventful and shortly after 8 I was greeted by a slightly distressed cat.


Daud was dreaming fitfully on his flight to Queen City. He had stayed in Hub City for another day after Athena left, in order to ply Alissa for more information. His last night in Hub had been very satisfactory and had confirmed his suspicions; Athena was White Owl. Intimate touch always allowed him to look deep into the hearts of his partners, and his night with Alissa had been very intimate indeed.
Daud's dreams were shaped by the tomb, where as in illiterate youth he had worked for stingy wages for archeologists and tomb raiders alike. He was working for a robber in this dream, a hard man who forced Daud into a recently discovered small hole. Daud had been the only one slight enought to fit through. Daud remembered shinnying through the gap and falling out on the other side onto a dry dusty floor. His torch went out in the slight breeze and Daud was fumbling in his trousers for a match to relight it. Suddenly the room grew silvery white, as though moonlight had been captured in that place. Trembling, Daud turned catiously and saw him.
The being was man sized, well proportioned. But a black ibis head stood where a man's head would normally be. The being held a staff, from which a balance was held and Daud saw a feather in the being's right hand. Daud dropped to the floor in fear, burying his face in his loose robe.
"Rise Daud, and face me, for I have summoned you to do my bidding. I am Djehuty, keeper of wisdom, of truth and of the secrets of the night. I am the one called three times great. It was my wisdom which allowed Isis to restore her husband to life. I am the great judge of the ma'at, and the one who sees. " Djehuty stepped forward and grabbed Daud's chest, pulling his beating heart from within. Daud almost screamed but stopped himself, curious to see what would happen next.
"You do not cry out. Admirable." said Djehuty. He placed Daud's beating heart on the balance, and set the feather on the other side. "Let the feather of truth be the final arbiter."
Daud held his breath watching fearfully. The feather dropped to the balance and Djehuty released the latch. Daud's heart tilted downward, then rose. The heart balanced with the feather. "You have an essence of truth about you. Though you will lie to those around you, in your own heart, you know who and what you are, never swerving from your truth. Additionally I sense a hunger for wisdom, a consuming hunger."
"I require a minister to this earth, one that has forgotten wisdom, that has forgotten truth. Since I now have your heart, you will be mine as well Daud. You will accomplish my will , judging the world, gaining wisdom, with strength. You will have power--to fly, and cover the world quickly; to see into the hearts of those you judge and learn their evils, and great strength to overcome great adversity." Daud blacked out at that point. He found himself on the otside of the tomb once more with Faisal berating him for being a worthless child.
Daud snapped. He took Faisal by the hand and saw the horrific deeds the man had sone in plundering Egypts rare treasures. Daud flew skyward with him and dropped him into Lake Nasser, satisfied as the man's body fell beneath the choppy waters.
Daud had used Faisal's wealth to begin his own empire of smuggling and tomb theft. He had expanded his empire intop legitimate fields too, his quest for knowledge never ceasing. And the legend of the Black Ibis grew. Daud roused from his dream when the "Fasten Seat Belts" light pinged on.
He stepped out of his cab in Queen City and felt at home. The city seemed very familiar. He knew at once where the museum was, and was almost tempted to see if Athena maintained an apartment near Victory Park as he did. But wisdom cautioned prudence, and he wanted to have his preparations ready before he tangled with White Owl again.


I took Alissa's advice and stayed home Friday, cleaning the apartment and making sure Daisy was happy. I worked from the computer on my desk, and blissfully didn't have to make a special trip to the museum. Even Lt Winslow seemed to have forgotten my number, and White Owl's pager sat silent on top of my freshly cleaned costume.
I went out Friday night, taking my nephews to see a Pixar movie and losing myself in the animation and the simplistic storyline. Alex picked us up afterwards and dropped me at home. "You're a terrific aunt, Athena. The boys love you. Don't you think its time you settled down and had a few of your own? You'd make a great mother."
Alex had become the patriarch of our family at an earlier age than he'd desired; when my father was murdered after leaving the offices of our small chili chain. And while he bore the mantle well, sometimes he was a bit pushy in letting both Diana and me know that he was expecting us to get married and raise kids. "Alex," I said. "You know I love you and the boys. But you also know I love my work. I'm not ready yet to marry and raise a family."
He harrumphed. But he gave me a hug and thanked me again for giving him a night out with his wife. I beamed, and trotted briskly up the four flights of stairs to my luxury "penthouse." No messages on the pager, no frantic phone calls on Owl's cell phone. I looked at the time. It was only ten, and I wrestled with the question of patrolling. Flight gives me such a thrill, and I certainly felt ready to try my wings again.
"Hang it all," I muttered. In ten minutes I was sliding the terrace door closed, in costume. I leapt out over Victory Park and swooped north, toward Sylvania. The humid night air clung to my skin, and I could feel the Nu Silk of my costume growing moist as well. I rose higher, and found a cool pocket of air in a forming raincloud.
I flew north as far as Glendale Heights, then turned west, coming in through Montcalm and Kosterman Hill. Queen City was quiet tonight, and I was satisfied. The last parts of my patrol flew me past police headquarters, where several officers waved cheery greetings at me and then through Rhineland. I flew up Sycamore Street and past the museum center when something compelled me to stop. In the distance, I could hear the bells of my church (St George) tolling the midnight hour. I knew Father Timothy would be just about finishing his homily for Sunday and heading for bed. But something about the museum was wrong.
My office lights were on.
My office is on the top floor of the museum. My family had been major contributors to the center, and I had pulled strings to get an office on the top floor, one with a commanding view and a skylight. Tonight, I saw the skylight open. I flew to the open window and peered into the lighter room.
He was there. The man in black was in my office, and unlocking the large floor safe where I stored my notes and antiquities nightly. I dove through the window, snagged him by the back of his neck and hung him on the coatrack on the back of my door. "I don't think Dr Nikos would appreciate you going through her things," I said.
He flopped on the rack for a moment, twisting himself to get a glimpse of me. "White Owl! Didn't you learn your lesson last time?"
"I'm a slow learner," I said with a shrug.
He flinched, and lifted himself from the rack with a grace rivalling my own. "Black Ibis," he said. "Just in case you've forgotten. I'm between lovers right now, I killed my last one. No wait the one before her I killed. I left the last one with a broken heart and empty bank account. Would you like to apply for the position? I underatand you know several good ones." He wore a cocky grin that I was itching to hit.
So I swung, "Apply this, twerp!" My fist came round at his face, and he raised his left arm in a counterclockwise block. My arm smacked the wall instead. His other fist came hurtling at my stomach, but I danced out of the way and he stumbled off balance.
His armored body was powerful, and I was struggling to stay on my feet as we thrusted, dodged, turned, spun, parried and sparred our way from my office into the hall. He grabbed the straps of my costume and threw me. I skidded across the slick tiled floor and landed against the bannister. Black Ibis dove at me both hands out to throttle me. I caught one arm, shoved a boot in his stomach and threw him over the rail and down two floors. I heard a satisfying thud and swooped over the railing to finish off the no-doubt stunned interloper.
But he wasn't there. I caught a glimpse of motion to my right, in the Egyptian Gallery and flew through the corridor. I looked quickly, the mummy was still in her air conditioned environmental display, the scarabs, scrolls, phials and jewelry were in place, the dark basalt statue of Osiris was...moving? From the throne of Osiris, Black Ibis struck. He was just a bit taller than I and his weight advantage brought me to the ground. I pivoted trying to throw him and succeeded. I scrmbled for my feet, but Black Ibis reached his first. In his hand he held a black flail.
The flair lashed out and I flipped up an arm to block it. The flail wrapped around my glove, and I felt it pull tight. I pulled it, trying to dislodge it, and from the corner of my eye could see Black Ibis flick a switch on the flail. Suddenly an electric jolt coursed through my body. I danced back in pain my eyes watering from the pain.
AUUUUUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!
I staggered back, unable to break the current and slammed into an alabaster pedestal, foaming at the mouth from the pain and the continuous jolt. I didn't notice when the small black statue of Thoth toppled over and cracked me on the side of my head, sending me to sleep.
Above me, Black Ibis said, "This has truly been a good night. I have the Sophia Diamond and White Owl. And I have plans for them both...."


Black Ibis leered at his fallen foe's body. He straddled her prone body, turning her chin from side to side to ensure his flail had indeed done its job. As he studied White Owl's face, he smiled. "You're exactly the woman for me," he said with a wry smile. "After all, you value wisdom as much as I do. I wonder if its narcissism to love a female version of one's self?"
He slipped the Sophia diamond into his pouch and heard it click softly against the Minerva and Osisris stones. He tingled with the anticipation that he would soon possess wisdom as great as God's. He caught hold of the hypodermic syringe he had prepared earlier that evening, in anticpation of this moment. He spoke sopftly as he returned to White Owl. "You've attempted to stop me twice now," he said to the still unconscious heroine. "I'll have to ensure that you can't stop me again." He stabbed the needle into White Owl's bare shoulder and drove the plunger home.
Satisfied the drug would keep her hown for a long while, Black Ibis dug into White Owl's pouch and found her heavy duty handcuffs. Clamping them around the heroine's wrists, he heard them snap tight. He locked them into place and lifted the unconscious White Owl over his shoulder. Her arms hung down his back, her dark hair drooped toward the floor, covering her face. Ibis adjusted White Owl's form, patting her pert derriere and flew with his burden up the two floors and out the skylight of Athena's office.
Ten minutes later, he was in a closed garage in Rhineland. The property had been easily acquired, and after depositing White Owl on a workbench, Black Ibis quickly sealed the entrances. He returned to White Owl with a cart full of bandages.
"Your friend Alissa wanted to give you a gift," he said to White Owl. "But she left the choice to me. After all, she was out cold when I took leave of her." As he spoke to White Owl, he removed her toolbelt and pouch, setting them carefully across the room. Black Ibis then used heavy elastic bandages to bind White Owl's ankles and knees together. Pushing the woozy heroine to a sitting position, Black Ibis began binding her arms tightly to her sides, leaving the handcuffs in place.
White Owl began stirring. Cursing her intensified healing factor, Black Ibis moved more quickly, dropping the elastic bandages and beginning with several rolls of heavy cloth wraps. Expertly, he wove the cloth strips through Owl's legs, cinching them up tightly. As he moved up her shapely thighs, White Owl groaned, her back arching but otherwise restrained. Black Ibis used the moment to add wrappings to her curvaceous buttocks and hips. His hand caressed her thighs, then stroked the soft, silken material of her gleaming white costume.
"So light and supple, this material," he mused. "So different than the armor I wear." He continued wrapping, running out of cloth at the base of White Owl's breasts. He lifted the now waking heroine into a large wooden box, which was standing upright in the corner of the garage.
Black Ibis found the heavy top of the case and moved toward the box with it. He could see White Owl's eyes fluttering, as she slowly began to wake from the taser and drugs.


I roused myself, feeling my body's healing factor banishing both the pain and the sleepy feeling brought about by the Black Ibis' drugs. The setting was unfamiliar, and I stressed my muscles trying to break free. A quick glance told me I had been bound, mummy fashion, but the bindings were too tight. I wasn't going to get the leverage I needed to get free bound this way. Additionally I could feel the heavy steel cuffs biting into my wrists. Someone had certainly done his homework.
"I know you need leverage for you great strength to be completely effective against my bonds White Owl," said Black Ibis striding into view. He carried some sort of apparatus, a hollow tube, with three openings in the middle. He set the object on a table in front of me, angling it so the open ends of the tube were facing perpendicular to my postition. He paused from his work, and came to the crate where I was propped up. He removed his dark gauntlet, and caressed a warm brown hand down my cheek.. Cupping my chin, he forced my eyes into his.
"I know so much about you, my dear White Owl. I know your strengths, your weaknesses. I know everything about you...Athena."
My blood chilled as I heard my Christian name. Who was this masked maniac? I mean I was not the most careful person in the world regarding my identity, but I was fairly certain those who did know were trustworthy. Alissa, Diana, Mr Wickersham; none of them had ever betrayed my secrets, in fact they acted like it was no big deal. So how had he learned...It hit me. Daud! Alissa's new boyfriend was a counterpart to me, somehow.
"Your doctor friend was most inviting, her mind was so orderly. It was a simple matter to pluck all the information I needed on you from her mind, Athena. I'm a touch telepath, though I know you have been denied that means of gaining wisdom." Black Ibis talked as he worked, setting what could only be a medical laser to one side of the device he was constructing.
"When I arrived here, I was a bit dismayed to find that there were counterparts to so many people in my world. All of them of the wrong gender. It was really disturbing, until I met your friend Alissa. Then I realized there was a way for me to make a mark in this world, using my wisdom to become the most powerful peron on earth. But there was a problem, White Owl, you."
"Me?" I asked in astonishment. "You beat me every time we fought, how could I have been a threat to you?" As he was speaking, I was struggling, my body swaying in the canvas and gauze chrysalis where he had encased me. I wasn't making much progress though.
"Oh I know I'm a physical match for you and more," he said dismissively. "It was your wisdom that worried me. Sooner or later, you were going to discover a way to defeat me. In fact, I knew you were working on it when I arrived. After all you were already gathering these to perform the ritual." He pointed to the table and I saw the "Gemstones of Wisdom" on a black velvet cloth.
"What are you talking about? What ritual?" I asked. I remembered Dr Profitt saying something about a ritual. The stones would give one ultimate wisdom. "You're, you're recommitting the original sin Ibis! The desire to be like God is what plunged the world into good and evil!"
He laughed. "Superstitious twaddle Athena. Look around you--you've met gods before. I know you have, I learned it from Alissa. Your origin isn't so different than mine, except you met Athena, a pale imitation of Thoth Amon. What has your religion ever done for you? No don't deny it, you were on a quest to gain divine wisdom for yourself, why else would you have tried to gather these stones in one place?" He scooped up the Eye of Horus sapphire and the Sophia Diamond, placing them into the cylinder. From deep in his armored costume he produced an emerald, almost identical to the one I had dug out near Salonika. That one was still safe, I had seen it in the safe when I interrupted Black Ibis.
"My Minerva Emerald," said Ibis. "Like calls to Like Athena, and this stone beckoned me to your dimension, to your reality in this multiverse. I'm stranded here now--your universities aren't conducting the transdimensional research I need to get home. But it's nice here, and I think with the divine wisdom I'll have, I should make an easy time ruling the world." He set the emerald into the third slot, lining up all three stones and checking multiple times to ensure they were aligned properly.
I frowned at him. "You're not going to win, you know that. Captain Valiant, Rocket, the whole community of heroes and heroines will stop you."
"Like you did?" he smirked. "I destroyed my earth's version of your precious Captain Valiant before I came. She had been my lover, and I killed her without a second thought. Thoth will judge her, before casting her into the nine hells. But I doubt yours can be any brighter or more difficult for me. No, you were the only source of concern--what I attain, you could conceivably gain as well. I'm torn though. In so many ways you're like me. I could learn to love someone who was almost my equal intellectually and physically. And from what I've learned about your past, I think you'd be able to serve me well in bed as well."
"I'd never be your consort, Ibis, or should I call you Daud, since we're on a first name basis here." Indignation and fury resounded in my voice. But I was ill prepared for the solid slap Black Ibis brought against my cheek. My head snapped to the right, my dark hair flying into my eyes.
"You will learn obedience, woman. It is not about your wishes, only mine now."


My face was still stinging when I finally opened my eyes. Daud's word's haunted me, the thought that all I could do was pledge obedience to this madman frightened me. In some ways, he WAS a dark reflection, the male counterpart I had dreamed of finding. I knew from Alissa he could be charming and intelligent, but I had also seen how cruel his lust for wisdom had made him.
Why was I different than he? WAS I different? I too craved wisdom, sought it out in so many places, even to the point of putting my life at stake. But was I willing to kill? I didn't think so. It was one reason I had done away witht he talons I had used early in my career. From what I'd seen though, Daud didn't seem above it.
I watched as he focused the laser through the tube and the varoious gemstones, to a point across the table. Black Ibis smiled, satisfied his calculations were right. He removed the dark armored helmet he'd been wearing and came to me.
"In a moment, Athena, I'm going to run this laser through the three stones. The intensity of the beam will be multiplied by the facets of the emerald, the sapphire and the diamond and the radiation will stimulate new growth of my brain's capacity to process data. I'll become wiser than the wisest."
"It's perverse, Ibis! No one gains wisdom through madness!" I said. As I continued to squirm, I felt an edge on the handcuffs catch and tear on the heavy eleastic bandage at my wrist. I continued to work the tear, hoping to cut thru in time to stop Daud.
"My dear, of the many ways of gaining wisdom, folly may be the best of all." replied Daud, calmly.
"You've been effective in judging other's actions, Ibis, but what of your own? Or ar you unafraid of what Djehuty wil find when he judges you?" Ibis stopped. I had gotten a telling blow. "That's it, isn't it. You're not looking to become like God, you're trying to become greater than your god Djehuty! He frightened you ,didn't he?"
"The god of judgement would frighten any sane man or woman." said Ibis. "Yes I fear him. He appointed me his avatar, and I have become a vengeful spirit, taking lives that were weighed in the balance and found wanting. Everyone has fallen short, from the lazy tomb raider, Faisal, to the one love of my life, Intrepid."
"And you have no place for grace or mercy?"
"For those who would oppose Djehuty? Never!"
I forced eye contact with him. His vision dropped to my wriggling hands, but came back to mine. "All right then, not Djehuty. But what about those who might oppose YOU?"
His face drooped again, but when it rose, I saw rage burning in his eyes.
"I would have made you queen along side of me White Owl," he said. "You would have lived a life of indulgent luxury and a constant searching for wisdom. Instead now, you may watch me ascend to the height of greatness, of divine wisdom." He paused, crossing to the device on the table opposite me. He cast me a spare glance, "It will be the last thing you see."
Daud sat at the far end of the tube, and placed a golden ringlet around his head. Like the wisdom stones, it too was composed of a sapphire, an emerald and a diamond. He toggled a switch and the surgical laser hummed to life. A shaft of pure red light shot from the laser and into the tube. I could see the glow from the three stones inside adn the stones on the circlet on Ibis' head resonated with a similar glow. His face contorted at first, then his hands twitched and Ibis howled as his pain increased.
I couldn't stay focused on the grisly tableu, I was almost through the wrist bindings. I felt the eleastic snap free and sawed more through the gauze to release my hands. At the table across from me, Ibis was burning with an unholy fire; his screams drowning out the high-pitched drone of machinery. The scent of scorched flesh and fabric assailed my nostrils, I gagged despite myself.
I was barely aware of the light show's end, as I had freed my hands and elbows. I was tugging on the handcuffs when I became aware of a figure lumbering over me. I looked up in shock, to see what was left of the Black Ibis standing there. His face was burned, with blisters formed along his temple and down the side of one cheek. His eyes were glassy but a purposeful step guided him. "I know you're still here, little Owl," he said contemptuously. "I don't need eyes to see you." His hand stretched out and smashed the wooden case I was in. I fell to the floor, still sound by handcuffs and tied from the waist down in mummy wrappings. I crawled forward, looking over my shoulder as he leapt at me.


"AUUUGGHHH!" Black Ibis' form landed on me with a flying tackle, all 175 pounds of him hitting me like a linebacker. I gasped as I felt my breath being drawn from me. Scant seconds before he hit, I had managed to roll onto my back, and I brought my elbows down into Ibis' back. I slipped my arms up his neck, and used my handcuffs to pull his head down into the floor. He howled in pain from the concrete and the burns on his face, pressing down on the floor with his palms. Black Ibis rose, and I rose with him, my legs still bound.
"I never knew you cared," he said with a hint of sarcasm. "I could get used to your hugs." His hands hit on either side of my ribs and I shrieked in pain. "It's too bad you're going to have to die, Athena."
"I used to...to think wisdom was beautiful," I gasped. "Bu...but you look like...you just lost a fight with an ugly stick." My sarcasm was rewarded with another savage blow to the ribcage. "Are...are you sure...you had those gems rigged right?"
Daud's hands grabbed my waist and lifted me from his shoulders. Effortlessly, he flung me into the concrete ceiling of the garage. I hit with a thud, my head driving down into my shoulders (or so it felt). Dazed I dropped to the floor.
"I don't need my eyes anymore Athena. I see beyond the pale of men, into the realms of infinity. I see the multiverse, the expansion of all, and I know the ultimate good and pure evil." I could see it in his face. The old maxim was true; whom the gods destroyed they first made mad! Daud loomed over me, his hands catching my handcuffed wrists, and hoisting me from the floor. He held me at eye level and I could smell the stench of rotting meat from his face.
"My wisdom is increasing exponentially Owl," he said. "I know several ways to keep you alive and in so much pain you'll beg for death's release." Holding me aloft with his left hand, his right hand found a spot just between my neck and collarbone. With a deft touch, I felt my arms and legs flop uselessly at my sides. I remembered Ann, the rag doll I had carried as a girl. Now in Daud's grasp I was every bit as limp as she had been.
"That touch is just a sample of my expanding wisdom White Owl. I can kill or cure at a whim. I am no longer constrained by this time, this space or even this dimension. I have become like a god. Do you know what it is to be good--to be evil? Who decides?" He dropped me into the chair, where moments before his horrible experiment had deformed him.
My arms and legs were useless, but my mind still remained, as well as my voice. "The knowledge of what is right and what is wrong is imprinted on the human soul," I said. "It's in your power to choose that good and evil are done."
Daud laughed. "So you still believe in free will rather than the caprice of deity? Is it right that a thriving civilization dies so that a prophecy here on earth could be fulfilled? The supernova that provided your precious "Christmas Star" did that, Athena."
"NO" I shouted, still clinging to the faith of my childhood.
"My consciousness is growng steadily White Owl. What could you possibly say that would sway a god like me? You could have been a goddess yourself, yet you were so caught up in mercy, you failed to take the power you held. You are as a diety to these people, yet you choose to live and walk among them, as one of them."
"I AM ONE OF THEM!" I shouted. "I am no less human than the least of them, and no greater. I use the gifts that I have been given for the betterment of society and to protect the world."
Daud spoke again. "Your words are like the lowing of a cow to me White Owl! I am as far above you as you are above the ant. I am your god. And the Black Ibis is not a god of mercy and peace; I come to bring a sword and judgement.He slapped me across my face. The chair toppled sideways and I lay on the floor, stunned and hurting. My breathing was ragged from my exertions and the beatings Ibis had given me. But from inside my wrappings, a sparkling green stone skidded across the floor. I caught it with my outstretched hands, and held it triumphantly before Black Ibis's unseeing eyes.
"It seems... to me...that if ..if you're a god of judgement,... then its one of poor judgement at best."
"What? What do you mean?" he growled, though I could hear doubts rising in his voice.
"You said it yourself, Ibis. Like calls to like. Even though your wisdom is expanding, you know it's flawed. Come on...even ..even you know that ultimate wisdom wouldn't mar you like that. You look like the extreme before picture in a plastic surgeon's office." He growled and reached for my limp form. I felt some circulation returning to my extremities and managed to kick at Black Ibis with my bound legs, tearing thru the loosening bandages.
He howled in pain, but what surpised me was that I never quite made contact. "What have you done to me?" he cried in anger and fear.
"I'm no expert, Black Ibis, but I'd say you used the wrong Minerva Emerald. By using the one from your realm and not mine, you opened an interdimensional portal. You're being called back to the earth you came from--the cosmic blance needs to be restored."
"No, NO!!!" shouted Daud, fully aware that I was speaking the truth." He grabbed at the sound of my voice, and his hand passed through me, filling me with a dread chill. His voice became smaller and smaller then he faded from view, leaving me alone in the dim garage.
Trembling, I managed to come to my feet, and with a bit of effort, I found the cuff key in my belt pouches. I unlocked myself and gathered up the Gemstones. Not too surprisingly, there was only one Minerva Emerald, now and I carefully placed it with the other two. Somehow I remembered to contact Lt Winslow at the Queen City PD, and let him know about the crime scene.
"Sounds like a rough one, Owl." He said in his paternal way.
"I'll survive, lieutenant," I said. I turned over the gems and said I'd file the full report after I had some rest. He smiled and agreed.
EPILOGUE
The Museum show was nice--not recordbreaking like my Amazon exhibit had been, but still was enough to increase some funding for the next year. I spent a lot of time at St George's, lighting candles for Daud, and for Intrepid. I believed God still cared about them. Father Timothy agreed, or at least didn't openly disagree.
Alissa was more than a bit broken up about the whole affair, and apologized profusely, even though she could hardly be held to blame for Daud's using her information to defeat me. I told her she still had my trust and my love--and we continued as Doctor and Patient, as well as in friendship.
Still, I pondered Daud's fate. Was he dead? Had he been spirited back to his world? Or was he now walking between them, still trying to avoid Djehuty or seeking revenge? None of those options appealed to me, though I certainly didn't want him back here either. After that adventure though, I was always more cautious in my dealings as both White Owl and as Athena. After all, one never could tell when she might meet another Doppelganger.

No comments:

Post a Comment