Monday, June 15, 2009

Techno Phobia











Six thirty on a Saturday Morning. My eager desire to sleep late and enjoy a leisurely day were sadly interrupted by an inistent buzzing at my front door. Reluctantly, I rolled out of bed, and pressed the intercom. I stifled a yawn and ran my hand through my mussy hair. "H'lo?" I mumbled.
"Athena, you have to let me in NOW, it's terrible!" Diana, my younger sister had never sounded so insistant.
"Okay, okay! Give me a minute," I said, pressing the lock. I heard the door swing out and dashed into the bedroom, where I threw a robe around my nightgown. I slipped on my fuzzy slippers, and got a "Rwwff" from Daisy, who was intent on keeping HER resolution to sleep late.
I heard Diana's feet on the landing, and opened the door before she could knock. She swept into the living room and settled on my sofa. Her blonde hair was in worse shape than mine, and I could see she'd been crying. Her face was red and puffy, and she looked as though she hadn't slept.
"Thank goodness you're home, Athena," she wailed.
"What happened, Diana?" I asked.
She sniffled, then gathered herself, and began. "You know that I'm working as a graduate assistant to Professor Stowe at the University, right?" When I nodded agreement, she continued. "Professor Stowe is working on a new breakthrough to aid in education. He called it an AudioSynchrometer."
"How does it work?" I asked.
"You know that there are five basic learning styles, right? Professor Stowe was intent on helping people who hear, learn things. The AudioSynchrometer increases a person's ability to learn and retain information that was read or spoken aloud to him. It would be a major benefit. Surgeons could attend a lecture on a new procedure and remember it. Politicians could hear a language, and speak it flawlessly quickly. Those are just a few things.
"Anyway, the device isn't quite ready yet. Professor Stowe was testing the device tonight in the lab. As we aimed it at the mice, a man broke in. He...he..." She broke into tears.
I held Diana and let her sob against my bronze silk robe. I stroked her hair and shushed her a bit. "Tell me what happened, sis. It's all okay now."
"Bu...but it's NOT Athena," she wailed. "This man hurt Professor Stowe, and it's my fault."
"Tell me, then."
Diana swallowed hard, then nodded. "He broke into the lab. I turned and shrieked. In that short time, he'd crossed the floor and grabbed me. He wasn't tall Athena, but he was muscular. He had short blonde hair and an arrogance I'd only seen with some football jocks I dated at Zenith. Cocky, that was the word for him.
"He held me close to him Athena, with something cold on his knuckles pressed to my face. I couldn't remember anything you or Alex had taught me about self defense. And he forced Professor Stowe to show him how the AudioSynchrometer worked. The professor showed him, then handed it to the villain. 'I can always make another one,' he said.
"I had reached out though, and hit the panic button. The campus police were on their way. In fact, two officers burst into the lab at that point. The robber pointed the AudioSynchrometer at them and said, 'Wait, stop! Don't shoot!'
"Athena it was the strangest thing. The police stopped dead in their tracks!"
"Like they were mind controlled?" I asked.
Diana shook her head, her ponytail waved with the effort. "No, but it was like their bodies HAD to do what he told them. I could see them trying to resist, but it was like their neural pathways were compelled to try the new learning they were hearing." I nodded, with a worried frown crossing my face.
"He tossed me to one side, then told the cops to run like frightened bunny rabbits. They got a strange look on their faces and ran. The robber was flushed with success, and he pointed the device at Professor Stowe. 'You'll forget everything you saw tonight,' he said." She stopped, tears welling in her eyes.
I coaxed the next bit from her. "He slipped an antigrav belt on his waist Athena! I've seen the specs, they're in development in Midway City, a scientist named Hall discovered it. The robber flew out the window, fogetting all about me. But I was worried about Professor Stowe. He couldn't remember his own name. I called for the ambulance--and more police showed up as well. Professor Stowe is in the hospital and I've spent the remainder of the night answering questions at the police department." Diana yawned.
"I just didn't want to go home. Could I crash here?" What could I say? She's my sister.
"Of course, Diana." She stretched out on my couch, and I got a pillow and some aspirin for her.
At that moment, the telephone rang. Not my usual house phone, of course. The other one. The one I use as White Owl. Sighing, I grabbed the cell and shut the door into my bedroom.
"Yes Captain Winslow? Is this about the lab robbery at QCU?"
"Someday White Owl, I'll find out how you do that," came the gruff voice at police HQ. "I know its a bit late for Owls, but is there a chance you could get here soon?"
I looked at Diana, and frowned. "Give me an hour," I said.
*****
An hour later, though, I wasn't at police headquarters. Instead, I was in the lobby of Experimental Energies with Captain Winslow. We were investigating a second crime scene. All around me I saw the terrible scene. Three male engineers had broken into a secure storeroom and taken several containment bottles. Then they had tied up an office assistant and begun to strip her. That was when the security team had finally shown up. Oddly enough, the engineers had no recollection of what had happened.
"Sounds like Professor Stowe's device again," said Winslow.
"Yes it does. But why here? They don't produce anything here, energy wise--at least not yet."
"They DO produce battery cannisters though," I said. "I'm going to check something out." I bid the good Captain goodbye and flew home shortly after noon. Diana was just waking up when I came out of the bedroom.
"Thanks for the couch sis, I feel so much better," she said.
"Hey Diana? Does the AudioSynchrometer use a lot of energy?" I asked.
"Huh? Oh yeah. That's one of Professor Stowe's biggest concerns."
She caught a glance of herself in the mirror. "Oh crap! I'm a mess. And David is coming by this afternoon!" She threw a haphazard kiss at me and ran out the door.
*****
My research led me to an unmistakeable conclusion. I was looking for a villain named Techno. According to the FBI's database, he was a former soldier, who'd worked in the special section. But there were questions regarding his honesty, and he was found with stolen special hardware from the DARPA labs. Sentenced by a military court, he somehow escaped into the world, and made his living stealing other people's ideas and putting them to use in a bad way.
Something about Diana's description interested me though. She'd called him arrogant, cocky. Would it be safe to assume he'd be arrogant enough and secure enough in his own skill to try another shot? I studied power suppliers.
That night, I was waiting outside the Chemco battery plant.








I waited through the long night at the Chemo plant. Several times through the night, I felt as if someone was watching me. But no matter where I looked, no matter where I turned, no one was there. About 3:30 am, though I had a call from Captain Winslow, "Pack it in, Owl," he said. "While we were watching all the energy producing areas of town, Techno took the opportunity to loot the Queen City Medical Supply."
"Was he after the drugs?" I asked.
"Surprisingly, no. He took some basic things; scalpels, a laser sight for surgery, a microscope, some chemicals and slides, rubber gloves and so forth. No one's really certain why. The weirdest thing on the list was the supply of pacemakers he took. Fortunately, there's not a long list of people waiting for them, but why would he take them at all?"
I shook my head, though Captain Winslow couldn't see it. "I really don't know. It almost sounds like he's plotting an experiment of some sort."
"Well the detail at the supply was found handcuffed together in a hug, with their pants around their ankles. Officer Clark and Sergeant Dibiase will be living it down for the rest of their careers. This guys is nutzo, White Owl."
"Only because we don't know what he wants Captain. VALOR's records indicate Techno is an industrial spy, taking the cutting edge stuff and selling it to the highest bidder. So there's a mercenary in there. My guess is he thinks he's funny too. And that makes people underestimate him. Which only makes him more dangerous."
"Well I don't think he'll hit again tonight. He's got to store that stuff somewhere. " The connection ended, and I frowned in agreement with Captain Winslow. But without a lead of some sort, I really had nothing more to do than go home.
I rose early enough to make the 9 am mass at St George. Father Timothy spoke of faith; that helps us to believe in what is unseen. As he continued, my mind wandered to Techno. Diana had said he got in, but no alarms had gone off. Did that mean he had some sort of stealth device? I knew Darpa HAD been working on one. And he needed some sort of a power base for both himself and his stealth devices. But where?
As I took the host and the cup, I prayed for a clear conscience and a clear mind as I pursued justice in this matter. After Mass I lingered for just a bit. "Father Timothy, I need some extra prayer this week."
He stroked his beard and smiled. "Of course Athena, for you? Or for your special friend?" (I should point out that Father Timothy knows my dual identity--he's my confessor, too.)
"For both of us Father, for strength to complete the tasks God sets before us."
"I will always pray for that my daughter," he said. I murmured my thanks and headed out. I called Alex to apologize for missing Sunday supper with the family, then headed home. I ate a light salad, then dropped off in front of the TV. I woke about 4:30 with a cold shiver. "I know where he's going to strike next," I said. "I'm sure of it."
I dressed hurriedly, then jumped out the balcony and into the afternoon sky. As I blazed north, I considered how I could stopTechno, and what his game was. I had most of the details figured out as I landed on the rooftop of the STAR lab facility in Norwood. The access door was open, and I knew I'd guessed right.
I flew down the access staircase into the experimental lab area. STAR recently had announced a new liquid gelpac for power, something that provided several kilowatts at a low cost and was environmentally friendly as well. "If Techno needed power, he'd likely go for something prtable and easy," I thought.
I found two security guards asleep at the monitor board, and when my efforts to rouse them failed, I knew I was on the right track. I studied the board, and saw a telltale going off in the toxic liquid lab. Nothing showed up on the monitor board though.
I flew quickly to the toxic liquid lab and slipped in through the open door. "Sloppy Techno," I thought to myself. I opened my pouch and pulled out an aerosol can. I sprayed a heavy mist into the air, and was rewarded by the silhouette of a man at the control panel. My fists slammed heavily into his back and the body flew forward, skidding along the floor. Sparks shot out and Techno's body appeared in the wreckage.
I put my hands on my hips and eyed him coldly. "Didn't your mother ever teach you not to take things that didn't belong to you?" He grinned and jumped to his feet.
"Hello, White Owl, I see you've got me right where I want you."
"What on Earth are you talking about?" I said. Techno didn't answer, he just ran at me. I ducked under his fist, then came up, clipping him on the chin. He cartwheeled to one side, but landed on his feet.
"Aren't these gyro stabilizing hover pads on my boots the BEST?" he grinned smugly. I ran at him and he hit a switch on his belt. My fist slammed and stopped two inches from him. I gasped in pain, and he explained, "In addition to the stealth armor, I have a personal force field." I scrambled back as he stepped forward.
"I've been waiting for you , White Owl, because you have something I want."
"Well all you're getting from me is a headache," I said, aiming a kick at his head. My foot clanged short again, and I fell on my butt . Techno was quick, and aimed a thick gun-like object at me.
"Don't move until I tell you to," he said, firing a ray at me. I put a hand up to block him and suddenly felt all my muscles tense, like a mannequin. The AudioSynchrometer rays hit me, flooding my body with light. I tried to move, but couldn't, even my lips seemed frozen.
"Oh this is nice," he said, pocketing the device. He rummaged through his large canvas sack, pulling a large coppery bracelet out. "Ahh just the thing."
I was unable to protest or resist as he snapped it tightly over my arm. It licked tight and techno tripped a switch. I felt a slight jolt of low voltage current running through my body.
"Like it White Owl? It's my latest adaptation. I use an erratic pacemaker current to jolt your neurons at irregular intervals. The end result is, your muscles won't respond, and you're...quite..powerless." As he said the last three words, his finger poked my forehead, my nose and my lips.
"I've been planning this for some time White Owl. I know you have a remarkable healing factor, and I want to isolate it, then sell it to the criminal world. Unfortunately, for me to study you so...thoroughly, I'll have to get to know you QUITE intimately." He shrugged. "Oh, and when I'm finished, I'll auction you off, somone's BOUND to pay good money to know White Owl's secrets and to kill her."
I tried to shriek, tried to move, tried to do anything but stare stupidly at the power damper clamped tightly to my wrist as Techno hoisted me over his shoulder. "You know, White Owl," he said as he grabbed his bag, "between the gelpacs and you, I'd say this has been a most productive day for me. Too bad you can't say the same." He levitated on his hoverdisks, then flew us gently out of the building...








My eyes were not burning from being unable to blink. Apparently, the autonomous responses of breathing and blinking and keeping my heart beating were not affected by the AudioSynchrometer. I watched as Techno loaded me onto a large platform, ringed by a metal handrail.
The platform lifted vertically, then buzzed west. I knew there was an empty industrial park in that region, with several buildings abandoned, and filled with vermin. "Including one of the two legged variety," I mused.
Techno landed his air raft and carried me into a block building in the back of the complex. He dropped me, unceremoniously, into a large dog run. As I was still unable to move, he left and returned momentarily with a length of heavy chain and a shackle. Holding a hand laser, he welded the shackle and chain to my right wrist. He passed the chain through the cage and welded it to a block in the wall.
Techno stepped back, smiling. "That should hold you," he said. He ruffled my hair as he put the laser torch back into his pocket, he pulled out a Leatherman tool. He opened the knife blade and leaned over me. His hand slid under the strap of my Nu Silk leotard, then stroked down my breast. He pulled the strap up and away.
"Hmm nice durable material. I know it's bulletproof, but...." With a soft "snick" the sharp blade of Techno's knife cut the material. "I see that it CAN be cut." He let the strap go. The front of my costume fell free, exposing my left breast. "
"Those are nice, White Owl," he said running an appreciative hand over the breast. "Too bad, I'm going to have to kill you, I think I could get to enjoy those." With a steady hand, he continued to cut away the rest if my costume on the seams. I felt Mr Wickersham would be very upset with me.
"I'm going to enjoy studying this fabric, I can see several uses for it," said the high tech villain. "What other secrets do you have, White Owl, hmmm? For instance, in here?" He held up my belt. Picking out one device from the holder he pointed it at me and pressed the trigger. A small flame lit up.
"A lighter?" he said, incredulous. Then he noticed the other button--an aerosol spray. "Ah a portable flamethrower, clever. This is going to take some time." Techno moved down my legs, and I felt his powerful hands unzipping and removing my boots. He found the extra bop balls in the heels of my boots.
"What other secrets do you have, I wonder?" he said. "I think I'll have to do a thorough search." His hands started at the soles of my unmoving feet and probed upward through my thighs and carefully and clinically inspected all by body cavities. I shuddered at this unwanted intrusion, further proof that the autonomous reflexes still worked.
He ran his hands through my hair once more--this time more interested in finding anything in there. He couldn't find anything and his hands cupped my chin, tilting my head to look at him. "I think you can move now," he said.
"You perverted BASTARD!" I said, ashamed and frightened and indignant and defiant. "Just WHO do you think you are?" I demanded.
"I'm Techno, the man who beat White Owl," he said calm and cold. "And since I did, I think I should remove ALL the vestiges of your being White Owl." He reached for my face. I turned my head, but the power damper was slowing me down. I felt weaker than I had as a child, when I'd had a bout of pneumonia.
Techno's hand grabbed at my mask, yanking it free. "NNOOO!!!" I gasped. I hadn't had time to trigger the special undermask and my face now lay fully exposed to the villain. He studied my face intently, his brown eyes boring into my grey ones. Then he laughed.
"You look familiar," he said. "I'm not quite sure WHERE I've seen that face, but I know it. But don't worry, Owl, I'll know who you are soon enough." He gathered up the remnants of my costume, my boots and my belt. He stepped from the cage and shut it behind him.
"I'll need to study all of these items," he said. "And then I'll be back to study YOU, White Owl. I need to figure out how you can fly, how you got so strong, and most of all, how that healing of yours works. Then I can keep your secrets and sell you. I'm sure there's someone who would want a has been heroine."
He stepped from the small room, leaving me in a dim light in the cold cage. I pulled feebly at the chain. Normally, I could have bent it like a Twizzler. But with the damper still in place on the other arm, I was now just a normal girl.








I sat alone in the dark. The cold from the concrete chilled my bottom and the soles of my feet and I shuddered. I tried drawing my right arm forward, but was stopped short; Techno had given me a very short chain. I tried to bring my left wrist around, but coundln't reach.
"He seems to have thought of everything," I muttered to myself. I pulled my arm back and looked at the power damper on my wrist. I could see several small spikes piercing my glove, and skin. Thanks to my healing factor, though, there was no bleeding. I could barely make out the seam where the band clamped together.
"Hmm, magnetic locks," I mused. "Even if I HAD my tools, I'd have a hard time cracking this." I wriggled to my right, trying to get a better look in the dim light. I shot upright though as the door opened. Desperately, I tried to cover myself, embarassed to be seen almost completely nude like this.
""Pretending modesty, White Owl?" Techno's voice called mockingly. "Or should I say Ms Nikos?" I hung my head. In the space of mere moments; my well guarded secret had been torn away like so much tissue paper.
"You needn't bother on my account," he continued, oblivious to my pain. He opened my cage and stepped in. Grabbing my chin, Techno turned my head to face his. He toggled the switch on his laser sight and stared into my eyes.
"Hmmmm, vision responding normally, dilation as expected," he muttered. I heard a soft whir as the recording device as hi continued his inspection. "Head movement within normal ranges.
I kicked up at his groin, landign a hard foot into his tender area, and let out a yelp as I encountered something hard, protecting him. Techno grinned. "A super high density polymer codpiece White Owl. It was obvious you'd try someting like that." He continued recording. "Subject's emotions are still out of control, unwilling to accept her situation."
"Accept this, moron, " I shouted, throwing my left fist at him. I cuffed him on the jaw and he staggered to one side.
"Amazing! You still have some strength and gumption left. But how much will you have when I tell you I already know so much about you White Owl. " He stood up and exited the cage, but stayed close to taunt me for a while.
"Athena Nikos, archaeologist for the Queen City Museum of Natural History," he began. "You're independently wealthy, but not phenomenally so due to an ineritance in a chili company? Your brother Alex has two small boys, and your sister Diana has recently graduated from university and is working for Monitor and Wager. Oh and I almost forgot, she was there when I stole the Audio Synchrometer, wasn't she?
"And you have some other contacts I'll be exploiting as soon as the computer turns them all up. I figure you ought to be good for turning up a variety of information. For example..." He picked up a sheaf of papers.
"You're active in a Super team called VALOR. By the time im finished with you, I'll know all of THEIR secrets too. I'll be the man who defeated VALOR, and take over this city. Of course, you won't be able to do anyting about it White Owl, because you'll be dead."
"You won't get any information from me Techno!" I shouted, wishing I felt the confidence I tried to exude.
"We'll see," he said.
He pulled out the small ray gun device he'd used in the factory and pointed it at me.
"Remember this?" he asked. He pressed the trigger and I was bathed in the soft light again.
"Let's play some truth or dare, White Owl. Only you just get to tell me the truth." My mind stopped struggling against him for a moment and he continued, "Tell me about yourself. What made you White Owl? How do your powers work--how did you get them?"
"Unnnnn...no....I...I," I struggled to resist.








Two hours. That's how long I kept talking. Under the influence of the Audio Synchrometer, the barricades between my dual lives fell like tissue paper. I was forced to relive the lingering illness and death of my mother; and the more recent, brutal murder of my father. My tears were flowing as I struggled to maintain a shred of dignity.
Techno had retained a clinical approach , keeping aloof and recording all my words onto a CD. Every so often, especially if I hesitated, he'd point the device at my forhead and fire again.
"That's quite a family history you have White Owl," he said. "But it doesn't get me any closer to understanding as to how you gained these miraculous abilities. You mentioned something about being in Greece as a graduate assistant? What happened there?"
I shuddered, struggling to keep my secret, but the genie was out of the bottle. My eyes closed and I mechanically began recounting the day that had changed my life forever.
"Doctor Jones was working on a new theory of mystery religions, and I had been assigned to the dig, along with a pair of my cousins. At lunch one afternoon, they got too rowdy and I stalked off for some peace and quiet. I found myself in a shaded grove where I uncovered a minature statue--an alabaster Owl.
"While studying the Owl, I sensed another presence in the glade. Thinking it was my mischievous cousins, I whirled, ready to snap.
"Instead, I saw a glowing woman, with a greek helmet on her head and a snowy white owl on her shoulder. 'Greetings namesake' she said to me.
"I stood gaping for a moment, when she said 'I am Pallas the starry eyed, the guardian of wisdom. For many centuries I have sent my messengers into the world, to proclaim the triumph of wisdom over folly. Your family has served me faitfully over the millenia, and now Athena, it is your turn to take up the mantle as Herald to the goddess."
Techno said nothing, but he smiled.
I continued. "The goddess offered me gifts of fruit from a large plate of food and encouraged me to eat. I followed her instruction and gained mystical powers of strength, of flight and of healing." I slumped back, hurt that I had again revealed so much, yet glad it had been bare bones for the most part.
Techno frowned, slapping the base of the Audio Synchrometer. "What an utterly amazing and fantastic story," he began. "Too bad it's a complete piece of crap!"
I looked at him in astonishment. "WHAT?"
"You heard me, it's CRAP! Its a complete fabrication. There's no way any of that happened. Goddesses, in THIS day and age. you must think I'm six years old." He turned the Audio Synchrometer over and showed me the readout. The lights were out, the charge was gone and the device, dead.
"Looks like someone forgot to buy the long life batteries," I mocked.
Techno's face grew into a snarl and in his rage,he whipped me on the side of the head with the Audio Synchrometer. My head snapped to one side, stunned by this sudden outburst.
"I didn't forget you're my powerless prisoner, though," he rejoined. After glancing at the chain and the damper on my wrist, he stormed out of my cage. Techno returned a moment later with a red rubber ball held by two leather straps.
"I didn't realize you were into such kinky sex games, Techno. I thought that was a bit old fashioned for your cutting edge ways. What's next? A latex fffmmmmmbblll!!!!" Techno shoved the ball gag into my mouth and buckled it tightly behind my head. I screamed muted protests at him, and kicked out at him again, forgetting his armored codpiece.
CLANGGGG! My bare foot rang against the armor and my eyes teared up in pain. Techno rolled his head back and laughed. Then he grabbed my chin and forced me to look into his eyes.
"I need to gather another energy source," he said. And I can't have you screaming and giving away my hideout. The damper and that gag should keep you at bay for now." He kissed me, on the cheek and slipped back through the bars. Across the room, I could see my tool belt, dangling tantalizingly but out of reach.
Techno crossed the floor to his air pad. He turned once more to see the despair on my face. He blew another kiss at me, saying, "I'll be back soon, love, with lots of YOUR money! Ta ta!" With a cheery wave, he kicked the airpad into the air and out through a skylight window; leaving me grumbling and straining at my bonds.
After a few moments of struggling, though, I realized it would be impossible for me to break the chain. However, Athena's wisdom hadn't departed like my strenght had. Moreover, Techno's damper had only stopped my strength, not the other ablilities. I began slowly, hovering just a bit above the ground. My keen gray eyes examined both the lock on the chain and the lock on the damper. Both were electromagnetic. I already knew I couldn't get the chained wrist to the damper, but I could move the dampered wrist to the shackle.
The two electromagnetic fields were strong, and they interefered with each other the closer I brought them together. I continued to press my wrists closer, closer...then with a SNAP the fields shattered each other.
I stood shakily, and undid the gag from my mouth. Furious, I strode to the table where my costume, belt and boots awaited my return. I couldn't wait for Techno to return.








I frowned, unable to dress myself, as Techno had cut my costume completely off of me. I held the no longer seamed Nu Silk costume up , then crumpled it into a ball in complete frustration. My belt was still intact though, so I managed to slip it around my waist.
I lo0ked at the controls on the workbench--spotting on that read "Opacity" I saw it was set at 0%, and out of curiousity, I twisted the dial. A dark jumpsuit and hood started to form around the dial.
"Well, well," I muttered. "Looks like Techno has a few secrets of his own." I stepped into the jumpsuit and zipped it up, pulling the hood over my head. The fit was a bit loose, but I managed to cinch my belt around the waist. I looked more like the Michelin man than a superheroine, but I wasn't trying to win any fashion contests.
I stood in front of a mirror, and wisted the dial again. The suit seemed to melt away, and I could see the room behind me. "Fantastic! A stealth suit. This must be how he committed the thefts at the University." My ears picked up the sound of Techno's air pad returning and I searched furtively for a place to hide.
I smiled when I realized that in his suit, I could hide in plain sight. The airpad descended and I swept behind it as Techno jumped off smiling.
"I took the liberty of swinging by your apartment, Athena," he called. He held up a shopping bag and continued. "Your cat looked hungry so I fed her. And I grabbed a few things for you and some money for me . Can't have you completely naked all the time before you die--you might catch your death of cold. Though I think you could catch a cold death in these." He held up a lacy bra and panties--a gag gift from an old boyfriend that I couldn't bear to part with.
He stopped short and said "Shit!" when he saw the empty cage and the power damper lying inside. Techno dropped the bag and reached for his pockets. It was at that moment I struck, my invisible foot slmming hard into the small of his back. Techno shot forward, slamming into the grill of the cage.
"Unnnfff" He groaned. "I see you found the stealth suit." He swung wildly, then stopped, listening. I stood still, very much aware of the large gun in his hand. Techno seemed almost to be meditating, but I noticed his head cocking from side to side; his headpiece angling back and forth.
In an move so fast I couldn't follow it, Techno fired his gun at me. I dodged quickly, but fet a bullet rip through the flapping fabric of the large stealth suit. There was a sputtering and the suit winked off, leaving me exposed and open again. "Gotcha now," he said, drawing a bead.
I grabbed a bop ball from the pouch and threw it. The ball hit Techno in the side of his head just as he squeezed the trigger. His arm went wide, as did his shot. The bullets slammed into Techno's computer system, and one of the tracers set the computer on fire.
"No!" cried Techno. "Your memory tapes were there! I had no time to make a backup!" While Techno was wailing his lament, I got behind him, grabbing him in a half nelson and trying to throw him to the ground. Though he was not large, he was powerful and I had a hard time keeping him under control. "Give up Techno, I've defeated you," I said.
At that moment, the technological thief did something unexpected. He stomped on my toes. I gasped in pain and let him go. Techno whirled, with the Audio Synchrometer in his hand. I paused, reluctant to make a sudden move.
"All my hard work, my attempts to break you, and you RUINED it." Techno paced as he spoke, anger and frustration painting his eyes with fury. "But no matter. I can rebuild it all--and I still have THIS to control YOU! And I've increased my power--so you can't resist it like you've done till now." He pointed the Audio Synchrometer at me.
"I can rebuild ALL of this. And make you my slave after I compel you to forget everything." At that moment, I kicked up, hitting the Audio Synchrometer. The beam fired, hitting Techno in the face jsut as he said, "Forget Everything." He stood bewildered, blinking at me with all the comprehension of a newborn. He squeezed the trigger of his gun and dropped it in shock from the blast.
The bullet went wild, hitting the electrical panel. The Computer burst into flames at that point, setting the rest of the hideout ablaze. I didn't want to, but I dragged the now infantile Techno from the fire and waited for Queen City's bravest to arrive.
EPILOGUE
I sat in Captain Winslow's office, still wrapped in the stealth suit. The extra size had helped; I was able to recover my stolen money and carefully conceal it before the police arrived. The sun was splitting the horizon as Winslow looked through the venetian blinds.
"Techno won't spend any time in jail, you know, White Owl. He's mentally unfit to stand trial."
"Its a pity so much evidence was destroyed," I said. "Techno might have benefitted from Professor Stowe's Audio Synchrometer."
"Didn't you hear? The professor has made a partial recovery, but his memories appear to be gone forever. It's almost like everything was erased on that tape."
I smiled. "No one uses tape anymore Captain. But I know what you mean. It's awful, to see that man's genius lost forever."
"Oh don't think that. He's learning at a fantastic rate, the muscles are responding like they never forgot how to move. He's reading again, for instance. And he's already grasping mathmatical and philosophical concepts at a high rate. The thinktank at QCU thinks he'll be back to normal in a year or two."
"So there's hope for Techno too?" I asked.
"Probably, if anybody wants to work with him."
I was in silent thought and prayer as Winslow led me out. We stopped by the holding room, where Techno gave me a bewildered look like a lost child. I said a silent prayer for him, and asked for the ability to forgive him.
As I stepped outside, the dawn was breaking and I flew out, passing the ambulance from the Maplehurst Hospital.
the End.

No comments:

Post a Comment