Monday, June 15, 2009

A day in the life...








Two in the morning on Thursday found me in the newly promoted Captain Don Winslow's office in the Downtown district. The promotion meant he was now the Night Commander, so I was still reporting to you. My muscles were sore and the stench of smoke clung to the Nu Silk outfit like an annoying boyfriend.
"So you thought the Glow Worm was innocent?" asked Winslow.
"He HAD to be Captain. I had surveillance video from the downtown library that showed him working for the janitorial service. He's been straight since parole."
"What about Manirino's? The signature on that fire was all his."
I smiled. "That was because he was working with Rufus Spalding. The Glow Worm impressed him. Spalding thought he could start the fire in Manirino's wine cellar. Seems he had a vendetta of some sort with the Manirino family. So he burned their building down, and smiled as the police began looking for Ozzie Glover, the Glow Worm."
Spalding owned the janitorial service. And my own research indicated it was losing money big time. So Spalding had Glover working late, then knocked him out in the cellar of the offices. Shortly before midnight, I showed up, thinking there was a fire about to break out.
I found Spalding rubbing his head, like someone had hit him. He was vague about times and so forth, but he sounded afraid that the Glow Worm was going to burn him out. I headed toward the basement to surprise the Glow Worm, when Spalding hit me in the back of the head with his nine iron. I must have tumbled down the stairs.
When I woke up, I found myself in a dim cellar surrounded by barrels of cleansers and solvents. My hands were tied tightly overhead and around a support beam. Additionally a heavy chain was wrapped tightly around my waist, pinning me to the post. Across the way I could see Ozzie Glover similarly tied. Between us, Rufus Spalding was pouring the last of the accelerant. He set a roadside flare in the middle of the floor and lit it, lettig it burn fast from the top down.
"So long White Owl. Looks like the Glow Worm will claim a final victim in his final crime." He actually cackled, then raced up the stairs. I heard a door slam.
I looked at Ozzie, who was staring intently into the flare, almost as though he was drawn to the blaze. Figuring he would be no help, I tugged at the ropes restraining me against the support beam. The ropes were strong, but parted easily enough as I applied full strength. I then snapped the chain and broke free. I broke Ozzie free, then grabbed the flare. I flew up the stairs and into the street.
"Poor Rufus never knew what hit him," I said, with a wry smile. "One minute, he's escaping in a Company Focus, the next, he's flying to police HQ. And at least Ozzie is still clean."
"Poor guy, framed and put out of a job all in one night. I wonder what will happen to him."
"I'm not sure Captain, but I think something good will come of it." He nodded and I stretched. I'm not sure what effect it had on the Captain, but when I opened my eyes, he was blushing and looking hurriedly at his shoes.
"I think I'll head home," I said, sheepishly. Winslow smiled and walked me to the roof, talking about his wife and sons the whole way. I leapt of the roof, settling easily into the coold night air , turned and threw a wave at the Captain, then headed south to the river. As soon as I was out of sight, I banked east and flew toward Victory Park and home.
Daisy was more than disgruntled as I slipped into bed, but quickly settled down to sleep before I did. But exhaustion and pride in a good night's work quickly brought me to sleep as well.
*****
The ringing phone at nine am brought me to sharp awareness. I rolled from the bed and picked it up, ready to tell off another telemarketer. Instead, it was my brother Alex. "Athena!" he said excitedly. "I was hoping I could catch you before you took off for the day. I need a BIG favor."
Alex always sounded stressed when he called, but this morning he seemed happy, almost jubilant. "I was hoping you could watch the boys Sunday, after church."
"I'd be delighted Alex," I said. My nephews were always fun to be with, and they seemed to love their Aunt Athena. "What's the occasion?"
"A wedding," he said. "We're going to an afternoon wedding of some of her friends, and I think the boys would be happier with you. We'll bring you home after church if you'd like. I know the boys love Victory park for playing."
"That would be fine, Alex." I hung up the phone and pencilled it into my Daytimer. I looked at the clock and was mortified by the time. I grabbed a quick shower, slipped into a blue dress and grabbed a bagel. I made it in time for my bus, and was dashing into the museum shortly after ten.
I should explain that I work at the museum as the resident archaeologist, but I don't draw a salary. The Nikos Foundation, established in honor of my late parents was my benefactor, and a major patron of the museum. As such I have a good working relationship, an office and fairly ireregular hours. In return, the museum gets first crack at my digs and anything I can return. Its a good relationship and has served well for a few years.
This morning though, I was passing through the hall of art and statuary, not paying a lot of attention. I rounded the corner that would lead to the steps and knocked over a good looking man in a blue business suit. Our respective papers went flying.
"Oh I'm terribly sorry," I said, reaching down and trying to assist him in picking up the papers.
"Quite all right," he said. I should have been paying more attention myself." He paused and looked at me, then a smile crossed his face. "You're Athena Nikos!"
I beamed, for who doesn't like to be recognized? "Yes I am. And you are?"
"Peter, Peter Stein," He said, proffering his hand. "I'm actually here because of you, Dr Nikos. I came to see your latest exhibit of Mexican pottery and sports antiquities."
"Well let me make it up to you," I said. "Wait here for just a moment." I dashed to my office and put my folders onto the desktop, then returned to Mr Stein.
"I daresay you should get a bonus. So I'm going to take you on a guided tour." I slipped my arm into his and guided him through the exhibit, regaling him not only with places and dates, but some of the stories of how I'd found the pottery shards and the ball. He soaked it all up. Two hours later, we were finishing lunch in the museum cafeteria, when he looked at his watch.
"I'm afraid I have to go Athena, but I'd love to continue this. Would you be free tonight? I have tickets to see the Queen City Whirlwinds versus the Red Wings."
I stammered a bit, "Well...I'm not certain..."
He looked at the floor, almost in shame. "I understand. I guess an archaeologist isn't too much for hockey."
I could feel the pain in his words. "Oh no, it's not that. I was just afraid I didn't have anything warm enough to wear. Of course I'll go out with you. And I LIKE hockey."
He smiled as I gave him my address. "You'll have to pick me up," I said. "Because I don't drive."
Peter studied my address and said, "The game starts at eight, so I'll be there by seven. And if you're still game, we can have a late supper." I smiled at him as he waved a cheery goodbye and headed out into the street.




After lunch, my mind wandered. I was supposed to be working on a proposal for my latest dig, or lining up the book tour, I wasn't too sure which. Both were important, and neither was done that day. Instead, I spent an hour or so daydreaming. It certainly had been some time since I'd been out with someone who knew me just as Athena, and not as White Owl. I wasn't quite sure I could pull it off. But I was certain of something. I was certain I didn't have anything to wear to a Hockey match. I made up my mind to do some shopping when my cell phone went off.
Not just ANY cell phone, mind you. But the one I use as White Owl. Fearing that Captain Winslow had decided to check in, I read the caller id. I smiled and flipped open the phone.
"Hello? Hello Melody, it's great to hear from you!"
Melody Jameson, White Owl's publicist, was on the far end. "White Owl, I've been talking with the people at Brennaman Toys, they want to do an action figure. I need to get your approval on a contract for your image."
"Well, Melody. I think it could be a good idea. Will the licensing fees go to my Scholarship fund?"
"Yes, I was adamant about that. And they were tricky, trying to get an exclusive use of your image. But we caught them on that. I think they'll play straight with us now." I smiled.
"It's what I pay you to do, Melody; to keep my image properly portrayed in the community."
I heard her laugh, and could picture the short red hair swaying and the freckles on her nose wrinkling. "Melody, is there anything else?"
"Well," she began. "The city-wide telethon for Children's Hospital is coming up. I know the coordinators wanted to have VALOR on stage for part of it. Would you be willing to suggest it to them?"
"Of course! I'll be glad to do it. I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I think I can convince one or two of them to participate." I glanced at the clock on my desk. "Melody, I hate to break this off, but could we discuss this tomorrow evening? At Mannarino's?"
"Ok, but you're letting me buy! I need to use the expense account they give me here."
I grinned. "It's a date. A deep dish veggie pizza sounds good. See you tomorrow." I switched the phone off and made my way to the door.
As I passed through the lobby, I saw Ravi Shakimar, the curator and director frowning. Technically, I was leaving during work hours. I nodded to Ravi and said, "I had something unexpected come up. I'll be in tomorrow." He frowned, but what could he do. I was the resident archaeologist, but I was unsalaried.
My office was a trade of for the money from the Nikos family fund which underwrote a large part of the museum. So technically, I was an employee and a director. Since I took no salary, I could come and go with a little more ease than some of my co workers. I dove out the front door of the museum and was swept up with the traffic on Lexington. I walked six blocks down Lexington to Vine and turned North. I passed a Vietnamese restaurant and approached a small art gallery. Sandwiched between the two was a gilded and glazed door with a thistle pattern in the thick, frosted glass.
I opened the door and made my way up a flight of stairs to an open studio. Suits and dresses hung on mannequins in the front of the shop. Further back, I could see bolt after bolt of cloth on a shelf. A large counter stood in front of a curtain, partitioning the room.
A dour old man, with a mouth full of pins shambled from the back. He glanced at me and I could sense just a twinkle of merriment behind those weary brown eyes. He spat the pins into his hand and said, "Aye?"
"Mr Wickersham, I'm in need of your great skills," I said. I may have laid it on just a bit thick.
"Oh aye? Ah suppose you've already destroyed those costumes o' yours?" I wasn't shocked. Angus Wickersham was my personal tailor, and one of the few who knew all of White Owl's secrets. He was amaster tailor, and together with Diana, my sister, he had developed the Nu Silk which gave me a nearly impervious costume. (More on that later)
"No, No," I assured him. "Its not the costumes. I've been invited to the hockey game tonight and I need something casual and warm and good looking."
"Oh, its a miracle your needin' then." His eyes twinkled again, and the thinnest hint of a smile tugged at his jowl. "Well, I think I had a supply of miracles delivered just this morning."
He stepped from behind his counter and walked me through the shop. In a short time I had a new khaki skirt, a pink blouse and a lovely beige cardigan. He'd also suggested a pair of flats and I promptly bought them. After paying Mr Wickersham, I thanked him deeply and headed back out into the street.
I took the bus home, and took a long relaxing soak in the tub, washing away the stress of last nights near immolation and the stress of my upcoming date as well. I fed Daisy, leaving her a large can of chicken bits in her bowl. She meowed her gratitude and tucked into her meal.
At precisely 6:55 pm, Peter Stein stood on my doorstep. He was casually, yet elegantly dressed in well pressed khakis of his own. He wore a polo shirt and a sport jacket over. "You look magnificent," he said. His eyes swept over my whole body and he paused at my necklace.
"That's an interesting necklace, Athena," he said.
I fingered the pendant, an image of a pure white owl. "Well, Athena is my name, and she was usually accompanied by an owl. I've been collecting owls for some time now."
He nodded, then said, "Well my name is Peter Stein. But I don't really collect either. " He chuckled, turning a bit red at his risque joke. I smiled, knowing it was awkward for both of us.
"Shall we go?" He asked. He offered his arm, and I took it. We walked down the stairs to the ground floor, and he led me to his rather large Cadillac. Like a gentleman, he held the door and I slipped in, then buckled the seatbelt. Peter climbed in on the other side and we drove and chatted all the way to the game.
Peter was a Red Wings fan, and I was sorry to see the Whirlwinds drop in defeat 4-3. Still it was an enchanting evening, and I had a terrific time. Peter asked me if I wanted dinner, but after a hot dog and a beer, I wasn't ready for any more.
He drove me home, and we sat in the Cadillac, discussing art, hockey, archaeology and more. Finally, I said I needed to get some sleep, as I still had to work in the morning. Peter nodded.
I glanced at him. "Walk me to the door?"
He nodded agreement. We walked arm in arm, like old friends. At the door, I paused, looking for my keys. Clutching them, I said, "This was a wonderful night Peter. I think I was lucky to run into you."
"Run over me," he chuckled. I felt myself blushing.
"Er well, Athena, I...ahhhhh....I"
"Yes I'd love to see you again," I said. I handed him my phone number.
He stared at it dumbfounded. While he was thus stupefied, I stood on tiptoe and kissed him gently on the cheek.
"Good Night, Peter," I whispered. I slipped through the door of my apartment building and floated up the stairs to my place, dropping into bed with a big smile on my face.
The end

No comments:

Post a Comment